Very remote situation

Lavinia20

Dec 20, 2020
I live on a remote Hebridean island, a long way from the mainland, and with the best will possible it is difficult to get support. i have a lovely but demented husband and am dreading long term help. So why am I posting? Family don't really understand and none live here all the time. I am not sure what extra support I might need, other than I have an occasional self funded carer, doctor and a care worker from the local mainland town. I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO UNDERSTAND HOW DIFFICULT IT CAN BE AND WHAT AWFUL DECISIONS ARE COMING MY WAY.

SkyeD

Oct 3, 2022
Hi @Lavinia20
I think on here we all know how difficult it is to deal with people who sadly have dementia, and I think we all understand what awful decisions are likely to come your way. Please keep posting, ask questions, let off steam, or whatever - there'll always be someone to listen.
S x

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Lavinia20 and welcome to posting on the Forum. I am sorry to hear about your situation and the difficulty of being in such a remote location. I know that, wherever they live, many members here have felt isolated by dementia in one way or another. Families often don't understand or choose not to. But the people in our online community do and we will try to give you support and friendship to help with difficult times ahead.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well hello and welcome from me.
Quite the opposite situation for me living in a city, but it's just as easy to feel lonely in a crowd specially when you have someone with dementia, people do back off a bit.
Now caring is over for me I'll admit the world is actually a lonelier place than before.
Still you've found us now, welcome. K

Donk1

Mar 26, 2022
Hello..I totally understand as I live in a very remote location in a country where there is no such thing as social care.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to posting on the forum @Lavinia20.

I’m so sorry to hear about your situation. It must be incredibly difficult living in such a remote location and feeling so isolated.

You have certainly come to the right place for understanding and online support. I hope that sharing your concerns, asking questions and even just having a wee rant here will help you feel less isolated.

As well as posting here I wondered if you had considered trying the Alzheimer Scotland Helpline. I’ve never used it myself but the description on the website says that they provide emotional support. I know that you will probably be needing more practical support but it might still be helpful to make contact there -

The Alzheimer’s Society has a service called Companion Calls. This might provide another way to help you feel less isolated -

I’m sorry I’m not able to offer anything more practical but I hope sharing here helps.