Vascular Dementia

JudeW

Dec 13, 2023
Hello - I'm full time carer for my husband who has vascular dementia. We are both in our 80's and I'm finding it very hard to look after him after a recent deterioration in his condition. He is falling regularly and neither he nor I have the strength to get him onto his feet. He wants to go to bed earlier and earlier and would prefer to stay there all day and night. I think this is caused by depression as at times he is very aware of what is happening to him. Other times he is very confused and doesn't even know who I am. It's extremely upsetting and I suspect from reading other members' messages that it's time I looked into respite care.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hello - I'm full time carer for my husband who has vascular dementia. We are both in our 80's and I'm finding it very hard to look after him after a recent deterioration in his condition. He is falling regularly and neither he nor I have the strength to get him onto his feet. He wants to go to bed earlier and earlier and would prefer to stay there all day and night. I think this is caused by depression as at times he is very aware of what is happening to him. Other times he is very confused and doesn't even know who I am. It's extremely upsetting and I suspect from reading other members' messages that it's time I looked into respite care.
my husband has vascular dementia diagnosed almost 4 years ago now. he gets confused and i have to explain very clearly what i need him to do. he would stay in bed if i didnt call him and sometimes its lovely to just be by myself waking up before i call him. hesays he warm and comfortable and it makes for a long table if hes up too early. he does go to mens shed 2 mornings a week which is when i get my break. he likes the banter and does some lighter stuff. hes 75 but also has COPD which can be limiting on its own.
have you had a care assessment and carers assessment? has he claimed attendance allowance? it all helps.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @JudeW and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. This is a great place for support and understanding for people who are affected by dementia in any way.
It's tough for sure, caring for a loved one with dementia, There is no getting round that.
I would say if you feel that the time has come for more care support, then this is the right time to move forward with it.
As @jennifer1967 has said, it would be wise to get SS to do a care needs assessment for your husband and a carers assessment for yourself.
I am attaching a couple of links that you may find useful:

Please do remember you will always find understanding and sound advice and suggestions here from members who really do want to help. It's also a good place to let off a bit of steam when you need to.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deirdra