Vascular Dementia and alcohol

Jenny__Wren

Oct 9, 2022
Hello, this is my first post and I wonder if anyone has any experience of an elderly parent with vascular dementia who is abusing alcohol?
My 84 yr old father lives alone - I am his closest relative and I live some distance away (with a chronically ill son which makes visiting difficult). His short term memory is poor and he now has carers going in twice a day to ensure he eats lunch and dinner and takes his meds. Other than that he is mobile and manages to look after himself ie - wash, dress, walk to the shop without any problems. I order his weekly shopping (including 2 bottles of wine) which is delivered on a Tuesday morning. He has lived in the same house for 60 years and when he was diagnosed he was adamant he wanted to stay at home with carers coming in. The problem is he is buying bottles of whisky and wine from the village shop frequently (although I don't know exactly what he buys, I can see on his bank statement how much he spends and how often) he spent £600 there last month! He had a friend in the village who used to pick him up and take him out for lunch but she has told me she can't continue as more often than not he was drunk by the time she arrived at midday and he had recently become verbally aggressive towards her. I've spoken to my dad about the situation and he has told me he will stop but, of course, he isn't stopping. I don't expect him to. The problem, other than his drinking, is he has to pay for his care and he is now spending more than his income. I have LPA for both health and finance so I rang his bank and asked if a daily limit could be put on his card but they said as it is a current account they can't and in fact there's nothing to stop him going overdrawn. He has a small amount of savings which is in the same account but I've calculated it will all be gone within a couple of years at his current rate of spending. He owns his home so when the money runs out will he be forced to go into care so his house can be sold to pay for it? I've tried talking to social services - their response, probably correctly, is that it "his choice to drink all we can do is ensure he eats to line his stomach" so carers are now going in at lunchtime as well as evening. I've informed his GP but they said there's nothing they can do either. Its so sad as my dad is a lovely man and I would be grateful for any advice. Apologies for the length of the post!

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Basically, when his savings go under £25,000 SS will step in and start to pay some of his care costs. When he gets down to £14,000 they will pay all costs but will take his pension, etc. He won't be forced out of the house as you fear. However, SS will only fund up to 4 care visits a day so when that becomes insufficient, he may need to move to a care home and the house would have to be sold, which would make him self-funding again... Get an assessment before he reaches the upper limit.

That's how the system works but that doesn't help you and as you have seen, SS won't force him in any way. Unfortunately, situations like this tend to continue until there is a major crisis.

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
My mom had a problem remembering how much she had to drink and when it was appropriate to drink for a time as her dementia progressed. She was never a big drinker, it only lasted for a few months (she declined quite quickly) and we were around to distract/redirect so it wasn’t a big problem, but it was shocking to see her say yes to a glass of wine at 10:30AM when getting her nails done! She would also forget she had a glass of wine (or two) with dinner and demand more.

Do you think this could be happening?
If your father needs to be reminded of meal times, it seems he’s already disoriented to time. There are probably some sneaky ways to control things but maybe he wou be more receptive to help with time/place reminders than admonishing him not to drink. I don’t know the entire situation so just a thought.

You should also be able to put a limit on the card for contactless (tap and go). TBH, I’ve never heard of a bank not allowing a daily limit as a safety/fraud feature.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi. My dad has VD and is immobile now. I have LPOA. You can set a limit on his card. Either doing it via online banking or at the ATM . You could also set up another account and transfer his savings into that. If he has an overdraft, cancel it.Then he cannot use it. Dad had one and I got rid of it PS . Maybe stop ordering the wine on the shopping.Just an idea..As it sounds like he is still going to go out shopping it would be less to drink.
Just curious. Is he actually having a wash? Or does he say he does? My dad would say he does but wouldn't. It was just a case of keeping me off his back. But I know everyone is different.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
To do anything with your dads bank account , like setting a limit, cancelling overdraft or transferring money to another account you must first register your POA with the bank. This will give you the authority to change things at the bank.

Jenny__Wren

Oct 9, 2022
Thanks so much for your helpful replies. I think I'll contact the bank again tomorrow. I had already registered the LPA with them last year but possibly I wasn't given the correct advice about card limiting. Best wishes to you all.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thanks so much for your helpful replies. I think I'll contact the bank again tomorrow. I had already registered the LPA with them last year but possibly I wasn't given the correct advice about card limiting. Best wishes to you all.
If you do online banking you can do it at home.