UTI

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello
Can I just ask if anyone knows if it is possible to test for a UTI in a Care home when parent is doubly incontinent ?
Thanks

ClaireeW

Sep 22, 2021
Hi @Tilly13
The main problem may be catching the urine to test in the first place, if the person is incontinent, and using pads. The care home can use an analysis dipstick to look at abnormalities in the urine. The sticks vary, but in general one is looking for positives in blood, nitrites, protein and white blood cells. They cannot check for the infection itself. That has to be done on a lab sample. But the dipstick can give a good pointer, and the GP can be alerted to the possibility of a UTI.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
Usually treated with broad spectrum antibiotics in the hope the specific bug will be knocked out. The same antibiotics can be given orally or by a drip, faster mode of action via a drip.
if dehydration was a predisposing factor to the UTI that may also be remedied by a drip.
not impossible to get on top off dehydration in care home setting but harder.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
i suppose, if there was really no other way, it might be worth trying a test strip within a pad and waiting a bit.

NickyJ

Nov 17, 2016
Sale, Cheshire
Hi Tilly .... I have the same dilema.
Been told that dip testing a wet pad can give a false result so we've been given a pack called, 'The Newcastle Urine Collector'. Which seem to be sterile pads that you put into the persons incontinence pad and then use a syringe to extract the urine when wet. Easier said than done as there is a time limit to using them and hard to judge when is the best time.
Would be interested to know if anyone has advice on using these ....

Tilly13

Jul 27, 2020
Hello @NickyJ
Yes - that's the pack my daughter told me about ( she's an OT ). Don't think CH have used before and think not overly keen to
Would also be interested to hear from anyone elses experience