Use of Memantine with other heart condition medication

Michael.

Aug 22, 2018
Hi ...my Dad age 86 has recently been diagnosed with Mixed Dementia (predominant vascular). The consultant is advising us to think very carefully before prescribing memory pills suggesting that if any then Memantine would be preferred. The problem is Dad is already on a cocktail of Warfarin, Digoxin, Bisprolol, Symvastatin, Lansoprazol. The advice is to consider his physical wellbeing and the current positive control the drugs are doing for Dad as introducing Memantine could potentially affect the balance of treatment and have a potential detrimental effect on his heart etc. in terms of his dementia he is in good spirits, calm, occasionally loses limb control resulting in potential risk of falling and does frequently forget things. Does anyone have any experience of introducing Memantine into medication for a heart condition. Appreciate any thoughts or previous experience of introducing Memantine alongside other medication. Many thanks.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP @Michael.
We faced a very similar dilemma with Dad & after a long chat with the GP decided not to give anything to upset the already precarious balance of medication.
We only introduced something when his aggression became to much later on.

Michael.

Aug 22, 2018
Welcome to TP @Michael.
We faced a very similar dilemma with Dad & after a long chat with the GP decided not to give anything to upset the already precarious balance of medication.
We only introduced something when his aggression became to much later on.
many thanks that's really helpful and yes that is basically our thinking currently

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Michael, welcome to TP from me too. I hope you find the forum a friendly and supportive place.

I know you have already received good advice that confirms your existing thoughts but I just thought I would mention one more thing to again confirm your thoughts. The thing is that Alzheimer’s meds don’t work for everyone and even when they do work they only seem to work for a short time. It is thus a small chance of benefit that is being weighed against the possibility of upset.

I hope that helps and I wish your Dad and the family the best of luck.

Michael.

Aug 22, 2018
Thanks, I am quickly learning that none of this is an exact science and that everyone and their circumstances are all different but I am finding that havIng TP is place is a great place for support, many thanks.
Hello @Michael, welcome to TP from me too. I hope you find the forum a friendly and supportive place.

I know you have already received good advice that confirms your existing thoughts but I just thought I would mention one more thing to again confirm your thoughts. The thing is that Alzheimer’s meds don’t work for everyone and even when they do work they only seem to work for a short time. It is thus a small chance of benefit that is being weighed against the possibility of upset.