Urgent advice needed, really don´t know what to do

JoJeffers

Oct 20, 2010
Madrid Spain
Hello

I feel I am at my wit´s end.

My Mum has taken a rapid turn for the worse and almost over night SS are involved. She had been managing withour them before. Mum lost her Bank crad and was taken to cancel it in a state of confusion, couldn´t answer security questions etc. I have been told Bank refusing to issue a replacement debit card and was intially told account frozen :(

I found out yesterday account is not frozen but seemingly bank threatening to do so.

I live out of the country and I really don´t know the best way forward. I am frightened of making a bad situation worse, I don´t have POA.

I am planning to go to England in the next week but want to be awre of my options.

I realise I have to go for POA but don´t know what to do in the mean time.

Can anybody advise me please? I have been advised by well-meaning friiends to try to get my name on the account at least as a way of helping my Mum access her money but reading on here that doesn´t seem to be a good idea

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I doubt you can do anything from Madrid so can only suggest you wait till you get here and take it from there.

Has your mother enough cash and food in to see her through till you get here? If SS are involved I trust they will put some form of care in place for her.

Long distance caring must be so worrying. I do hope your mother is getting the help she needs.

JoJeffers

Oct 20, 2010
Madrid Spain
Thank You GrannyG, I am getting myself very worked up but you are right, until I am there it is hopeless.

Yes food and money are available to my Mum.

Thank You for taking the time to reply :)

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya,

If you move quick then you can download the forms for lasting power of attorney and fill them out. Do you have any relatives in the UK or are you likely to go there any time soon? If so then your mum needs to sign the form and someone who has known her for a while (not a relative) has to sign to say that she understood what she was signing. You could tell her that the form is so you can help her manage her money so that she doesn't have to go to the bank all the time.

You need to be able to get this form done before someone declares she no longer has capacity to manage her affairs.

Dont worry that you are overseas as many attorneys live abroad.

Fiona

JoJeffers

Oct 20, 2010
Madrid Spain
Hi there

I am going to the UK in a week and had started filling in the online POA forms I think I am going to struggle...I have just spoken to my Mum´s GP and she has told me she couldn´t say whether my Mum has capacity or not :( I really don´t know who else I could get to be a certificate provider

It´s all such a mess:(

SS are telling me I can only be an apointee but apparently they don´t like the appointee to be out of the country and in any case that would only allow me to access her pension

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I have just had a capacity argument with a hospital. Capacity can waver..

Can you catch a good moment?
As long as she understands AT THE TIME what she's doing, she doesn't have to be able to remember 5 mins later ( apparently).

Choose your witness carefully, someone who can vouch and say ''yes, she understood when Jo asked her'' maybe on a GP visit or something. Local minister? Someone from AGEUK? or even a long standing friend of hers.

JoJeffers

Oct 20, 2010
Madrid Spain
Thanks Jess...this is exactly what I have been told, that as long as she understands at the time it doesn´t matter if she forgets 5 mins later....I feel that the GP has been somewhat unfair :( especially since my Mum has just been diagnosed with a UTI today and the GP knows full well the detrimental effect that this can have on a Dementia sufferer :(