Unsafe Discharge

Dig Deep

Sep 20, 2022
My 90 year old mother has been in hospital for 77 days. She has vascular dementia but went into hospital following a significant loss of mobility and associated pain when attempting to move. She is currently in what woudl once have been called a Geriatric Hospital and it is a Care Home in all but name.
Physio is not working but her mental health has improved enormously because of the stimulation provided by staff and other patients. It is amazing to see the difference. However, her mobility has worsened and she now cant move.
However, the Social Work Team is now saying she is fit to go home with a care package of 4 visits a day. the family is saying mum now needs 24/7 care and that a Care Home would be best. We had a face to face meeting last week with 10 - yes 10 - people in the room. This was not positioned with us in advance so came as a bit of a shock.
The medical team did not challenge our thinking re benefits of Care Home v Negatives of going home to be a prisoner in her own home, unable to do anything without a carer present and nobody to talk too etc.
However, the Social Worker / Discharge leader appeared to be in charge and had already made her mind up that mum should return home.
I have asked for minutes of the meeting as mum herself said she felt a Care Home would be best, and I have also requested details of the Appeal process.
Our plan is to sit tight as mum is settled and in a safe environment at present.
However, a new social worker has now spoken with mum and is revisiting questions and thoughts already covered at our face to face meeting.
We will be self funding a Care Home by selling mum's house but we do NOT want to commit to this until we get the Social Work team to agree that mum requires 24/7 cover. The reason being our funds will only cover 3 years and clearly we dont know how long mum will live.
Are we following the correct path?. Any experience of assessments being challenged or appeals processes?. Any thoughts greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

try again

Jun 21, 2018
If you mum says she'd prefer it and she is self funding then there is really nothing to stop it.

Dig Deep

Sep 20, 2022
If you mum says she'd prefer it and she is self funding then there is really nothing to stop it.
What happens in 3 years time when money runs out if Social Work still believe she could return home, and doesn't have one?

try again

Jun 21, 2018
I don't think it's likely that in 3 years she will be able to go home. Dementia is a downwards spiral.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
What happens in 3 years time when money runs out if Social Work still believe she could return home, and doesn't have one?
Cross that bridge when you come to it - its unlikely to happen, especially if she has no other home to go to.
if she was 60 odd, i'd say pause & think, but at 90, go for it

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016

Just organise the care home on the basis of the situation as it is now. My mother in law was self funding and she had no involvement with social services at all any point in her care. She was discharged straight into a care home from hospital and as she was self funding we didn't get permission from social services ,we just arranged it. Frankly they weren't interested anyway. We didn't think about what might happen in 3 years time as others have said cross that bridge then

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You could ask your preferred care home if they would accept LA funding after 3? years of self funding.
Otherwise I'd still go for it.

Dig Deep

Sep 20, 2022
Just organise the care home on the basis of the situation as it is now. My mother in law was self funding and she had no involvement with social services at all any point in her care. She was discharged straight into a care home from hospital and as she was self funding we didn't get permission from social services ,we just arranged it. Frankly they weren't interested anyway. We didn't think about what might happen in 3 years time as others have said cross that bridge then
Thank you . I hadn’t thought of matters this way. I’m probably over thinking things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potato head