Unable to cope

Purnima

Dec 19, 2019
My mother has Alzheimer’s, I am a single women who also works with dementia patients. My family though supportive at times live everything to me. The only break I get is when I go to work for seven hours on a Friday. I have told them I cannot cope. I have tried talking therapy and. Antidepressants, both did not work. I cannot see any changes. I have contacted community psychiatrist nurse but there is a long list. The only good thing is my I having a break in March and living the family to cope. I also look after my brother who has acquired head injury. Though he has support workers but I deal with all DST and hospital appointments. Sometimes I wonder if it’s worth going on

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
@Purnima please speak to your GP about your feelings.

You are dealing with so much. The GP practice should have a carers support worker who should give you an assessment which is about your needs. It sounds to me like you are at breaking point.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Purnima Welcome.

I hope you will find Dementia Talking Point helpful and supportive.

Who looks after your mother when you work on Fridays? This is not a break. You are working.

Can whoever cares for your mother on Fridays care for her on another day too so you can have some time for yourself.

It does sound as if you are being taken for granted by the family and if you allow this it will continue.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Purnima
a warm welcome to DTP
what a lot you have on your plate ... my guess is, you appear to keep coping, despite letting your family know how difficult it is for you, so they don't take on board what you tell them ... hopefully in Marchthey will see for themselves all you do, but that's quite a way off
I agree with having a chat with your GP about how you are and about how difficult it is providing full time care
you say your brother has support workers, which is good, but what about support for caring for your mother ... has she had an assessment of her care needs by your Local Authority Adult Services, as she has a right to this ... and you have a right to a carer's assessment ... from this a care plan might include home care visits, day care and respite to give you much needed breaks
I hope you are receiving Carer's Allowance too, and your mother Attendance Allowance

Admiral Nurses are there to support carers, if there isn't one in your area do give them a call, they may well be able to help you get support in place
https://www.dementiauk.org/get-support/admiral-nursing/

it's always worth carrying on and you are worth such a lot in your own right ... that doesn't mean all has to stay as it is, you deserve support to be able to look after yourself as well as you care for your mother