Tumble dryer

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi I am new to this forum. My mum in law has alzheimer's that is progressing quite quickly. She is well physically and able to cope in her own home with the technology she is familiar with,but as an item breaks down or is lost we are finding that new replacements are beyond her. Even mobile phones supposedly made for the elderly are too complex and she cannot use her replacement. I fear the complexity of all household appliances will bring forward the time that she is unable to manage at home. Her tumble dryer now needs replacing, the old one just had a simple button for high or low heat and dial for time. Every one I have looked at so far has had too many controls and options for her to use. Does anyone have any suggestions of makes that are simple and easy(old fashioned)?

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Thank you nitram, I tried putting in search parameters for simple dryers and it did not come up trumps but you have. This will save me a lot of time. What a great resource this forum is. :)

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
I do see your point. When MILs terrifically complicated dual cook microwave died, I replaced it with a really simple one with 2 buttons........resulting in Mum not being able to use it anymore!! She was just totally unable to cope with anything different.

So, with the benefit of hindsight, I would have tried to find one that had buttons very similar to the one she had before. Or maybe the same model second hand from ebay (but get it checked out at your local electricians before you give it to her!)

Our local Heart Foundation Charity Shop has a huge range of used electrical items, which have been safety tested, if that is of any help?

I have come to the conclusion that I should never underestimate how much agitation and stress the introduction of something new could cause........even if it seems really, really simple to me.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Tumble dryers are huge energy wasters. Buy her a clothes horse and save on energy bills as well.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
unfortunately tumble dryer is costly but safer than her new option of drying on top of the gas fire! Has a clothes horse but won't use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nickydark76