Toilet habits

theunknown777

Feb 25, 2022
My Mum is struggling with the toilet.

Sometimes she gets there and pulls her trousers/underwear down and sits on the toilet perfectly.
Other times she goes in the bathroom pulls her trousers down and back up, flushes the toilet without going for a wee.

In the night, she often gets up to go the toilet and the pad is already full. By the time she gets to the toilet she still needs to go but doesn't pull everything down and when she does she already starts weeing. She won't stand by the toilet sometimes which means she's weeing on the floor or her pyjamas.

Does anyone have any tips to help ?

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @theunknown777 .

I’m afraid the only solution is probably for your mum to be helped to use the toilet now that she has got to this stage. If this confusion has started suddenly it might be worth checking for a urine infection - this often makes elderly people more confused.

Has your mum had an appointment with the continence clinic yet?

theunknown777

Feb 25, 2022
Hi @theunknown777 .

I’m afraid the only solution is probably for your mum to be helped to use the toilet now that she has got to this stage. If this confusion has started suddenly it might be worth checking for a urine infection - this often makes elderly people more confused.

Has your mum had an appointment with the continence clinic yet?
Hi thanks for the reply. We're helping her to the toilet and then seeing how much we need to help.

She's recently had her annual review checking everything so it's not a urine infection.

She's on the waiting list but it seems like it will be a long wait.

I think we're going to look at pull ups for the night at least. Although not sure where to start and how to measure.

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England

Sometimes she gets there and pulls her trousers/underwear down and sits on the toilet perfectly.
Other times she goes in the bathroom pulls her trousers down and back up, flushes the toilet without going for a wee.

In the night, she often gets up to go the toilet and the pad is already full. By the time she gets to the toilet she still needs to go but doesn't pull everything down and when she does she already starts weeing. She won't stand by the toilet sometimes which means she's weeing on the floor or her pyjamas.

First thought. Incontinence pants not pads. Pants can hold a whole day or night's worth of wee! (Poo absorbency depends on the nature of the poo).

Second thought. Does she have a chair frame round the loo to help her sit down and get up - and remind her to do so.

Washable flooring in a contrast colour to the actual loo. Daily or more frequent change of coloured loo mat and bath mat.

With incontinence pants and a long top, mum won't need pyjama pants as well.

Incontinence pad (puppy pads are cheaper and are much the same) in the bed. Can be covered with a fluffy hand towel. Keeps the bed cleaner and dryer, if mum has a mishap.

Best wishes

theunknown777

Feb 25, 2022
First thought. Incontinence pants not pads. Pants can hold a whole day or night's worth of wee! (Poo absorbency depends on the nature of the poo).

Second thought. Does she have a chair frame round the loo to help her sit down and get up - and remind her to do so.

Washable flooring in a contrast colour to the actual loo. Daily or more frequent change of coloured loo mat and bath mat.

With incontinence pants and a long top, mum won't need pyjama pants as well.

Incontinence pad (puppy pads are cheaper and are much the same) in the bed. Can be covered with a fluffy hand towel. Keeps the bed cleaner and dryer, if mum has a mishap.

Best wishes
Any recommendations on how to measure for pants and the best brands?

No chair frame. Still waiting on adult social care to help/assess.

Washable flooring we have. Contrasting colour to a degree.
Why a change of loo mat and bath mat ?

She'll probably want pyjama bottoms as well I suspect.

Thanks for the tip on pads in the bed.

This is all much appreciated.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent

Hi @theunknown777
You said "why a change of loo mat and bath mat?" Answer = the PWD can see things easier and better if there is a contrast in colour, but don't have black mats as PWD often see black mats as holes and won't want to walk/stand on a hole.
When my OH was in hospital, their blue/grey plastic floor tiles looked to my OH as if it was water and she said she couldn't go from bed to toilet as she'd have walk in the water.
We don't always know how a PWD perceives things, but, obviously, the easier we can make it, the better.
Cheers

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
The incontinence service gave me OH ' Tena super' pull up pants for night and they tend to hold a full emptying of his bladder. Occasionally they leak but not too often. He was given the ' Tena classic plus' for day. as he can use the toilet but has similar accidents to your mum. I have puppy pads on the floor in the bathroom when I take him they seem to catch dribbles and they are easily disposed if.
(Tena pants work well with bowel accidents as well .)

Measure the waist size and match to packet measurements. The tighter the fit the less chance of leaks.

We were advised no drinks after 8 pm, drink decaff coffee and tea and no fizzy drinks as these can all irritate the bladder.

I have also bought a raised toilet seat that easily clamps on to the toilet. Mine has a lid and looks quite neat. Bought in a local mobility shop but they are available from Amazon.

Kylie bed sheets are good for mattress protectors. Easily washed ,can dry in a low heat tumble dryer setting. A bit pricey but good and can be washed up to 300 times.

Last edited:

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
If you order the pads/ pull ups from an on line incontinence shop pull ups can be bought VAT free. Just have to declare that the person has a mental impairment eg dementia!

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England

Another thought. Cranberry juice diluted with equal water. One small cup a day, more if liked. It can help bladder function and control as well as cutting down on infections. Avoid artificially sweetened juice, use the normal sugary version, unless Mum is diabetic. Artificial sweetener can give you the runs!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Cranberry juice diluted with equal water. One small cup a day, more if liked. It can help bladder function and control as well as cutting down on infections.
I considered giving OH cranberry juice as he has a catheter and is very prone to infections, but I was told not to as he is on statins and this can interfere with liver function

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020

In terms of finding the right size - most are sized by waist measurement.
Best brand? - look at absorbency, online incontinence shops list how much fluid the pants can absorb. Most have a "drop" rating, but I'm not sure if that is a standard measure across all brands, so best to find out the actual quantity.
Slips (adult nappies) absorb more than pull-ups, but can't be pulled up and down.

Never thought I would become an expert on incontinence products!

Alisongs

May 17, 2024
East of England
I considered giving OH cranberry juice as he has a catheter and is very prone to infections, but I was told not to as he is on statins and this can interfere with liver function
Very helpful. I didn't know this. Obviously best to check medication information leaflet and online for any side effects

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I used 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a soft drink. Changes the pH of the urine so upsets the bacteria. But must be used with caution for people with blood pressure - because of the sodium.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Never thought I would become an expert on incontinence products!
[/QUOTE]
Same here. But needs must !🤣

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I use for my OH the adult nappies (prescription (thus payment free to us) from the Incontinence Nurse through iD Ontex) - large size even though she's lost loads of weight. Easier to put on and take off and more velcro to stick and keep on. Plus the Vivactive bed pads max 60cm x 90cm + their secure fixation pants + nappy disposal bags. All vat free.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@theunknown777
Hi if you want good cheap pull-ups try Aldi. Their design is the same as Tena and in our experience work as well.

They had been out of stock and I was wondering if they were about to change supplier / design but I bought some again this week and they were the 'original design' £3.89 for 9 medium or 8 large

Recent Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deirdra