Time for Tea Jigsaw - possible good news!

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
I bought a personalised jigsaw from ebay a week or so ago. I put together a group of objects relating to having a cuppa, and took a photograph. I had this photograph made into a 15-piece jigsaw for my mam.

I suggested that rather than present it to my mam and making a fuss about doing it, that dad just put it out on the kitchen table, partially completed to make it easier, and see what happened, and I know he did do that the other day when she was due to come back from the day centre.

No idea if she tried it, liked it, hated it, or even noticed it!

But today I popped round to their house, they were out, and peering through the kitchen window I noticed the jigsaw on the table, almost done with just a couple of pieces not in place.

Now this can't have been there since last Friday as they have their meals at this table, so I'm hoping with everything crossed that she did notice it, did have a go at doing it and did actually like it, and so dad has continued to put it out for her.

Hopefully. Will be speaking to dad tomorrow so must remember to ask him! ;)

... unless he did it himself :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
Hi College girl

I would be interested in knowing how you get on with this. My husband has just taken up woodworking as a hobby and I thought I would ask him to make some custom jigsaws for me to take into Mum's care home, so your outcome would be interesting.

I am intending to make some activity cushions or aprons - just haven't had the time to get started yet :eek:

I hope that your Mum is the one doing it.

Pauline
x

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
My husband has just taken up woodworking as a hobby and I thought I would ask him to make some custom jigsaws for me to take into Mum's care home.

Hi Pauline, what a lovely idea! The first one I ordered was in a frame - where the frame formed part of the picture, and you fitted the loose pieces within it on the backing board, if you know what I mean, which I think would have helped to start it off. Unfortunately this purchase fell through, and I ended up with an ordinary jigsaw without a frame. However, it's very well made and I'm really pleased with it.

But I wonder if the framed jigsaw would be something your husband would be interested in making?

Good luck with all your projects!

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
How big are the pieces? My mum has arthritic hands and I don't think she could handle smaller bits, i like the idea of tea things. My mum's interest was cooking so the idea rather caught my attention, cooking is rather off the menu, so to speak, so a picture of it might be worth a try.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi all

I'll let you know how it went, and if it was actually my mam who had done it, when I see dad today. Fingers crossed!

Nevergiveup, the overall size of the jigsaw is only 7" x 5" - slightly smaller actually, but with only 15 pieces, each piece is a good size, about 1.5" x just under 1.5". It's also made of wood, and the pieces are nice and chunky so easy to get hold of.

If you would like a link to the seller so that you can take a look, I'd be happy to PM it to you. I'm not connected in any way, honestly!

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Me again, have just spoken to dad. Mam has noticed the jigsaw and does try to do it! :D:D:D

Unfortunately, she can't really do it, but she fiddles with it, and tries, and moves the pieces around, and looks at the picture, etc. so at least it's amusing her for five to ten minutes at a time, which gives dad a breather and also must be benefiting her, having an interest in it.

All in all, I'm delighted.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi CG,

That's brilliant news. Just a thought does it have a complete picture for her to refer to as well as the puzzle?

It was a lovely picture, I am trying to bring it to mind, time for a cup of tea I think:D
Sue
xx

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Sue, we're on the same wavelength! No, it doesn't have a separate picture for her to refer to. So I was thinking of printing the photo out again, on paper or card, to see if it would help her to do it. What do you think?

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
I would think that she would see the photo, think she had completed it when she was actually looking at the photo and not bother again. As she seems happy to try to 'mend' the puzzle let her carry on as she is.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Doing a jigsaw that you've done before and haven't seen the picture is quite hard. When my symptoms are very bad I have done children's jigsaws to help use my brain and at times I wouldn't know if to refer to a picture but symptoms fluctuate so much and so quickly at times I would think it was worth a try. Pleased though for you and her that she's giving it a go.

NeverGiveUp

May 17, 2011
CG
I know advertising isn't allowed here but think the link should be put on here as it is for the good of all.

When I read the posts I got a mind picture of a washing line puzzle - hang the clothes up in a line, mum is always fiddling with the clothes on the airer - and not for the better :mad:

Polly1945

Oct 24, 2012
Hereford
That's really good news. So pleased that your Mum is enjoying it - I was going to print extra photos to go with our jigsaws once we get them done. I also like the idea of the jigsaw being in a frame.

I love the idea of a clothes line with lots of washing hanging up - brilliant!

I'm hoping to do some more "masculine" jigsaws - such as toll box items, hammers, pliers etc. Thought I would find out what the men in the unit did as a living/career.

I'll post a photo when I can

Pauline
X

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Doing a jigsaw that you've done before and haven't seen the picture is quite hard. When my symptoms are very bad I have done children's jigsaws to help use my brain and at times I wouldn't know if to refer to a picture but symptoms fluctuate so much and so quickly at times I would think it was worth a try. Pleased though for you and her that she's giving it a go.

Also a good point! I will probably print off a second picture and see how it goes - I can always get rid of it.

I know advertising isn't allowed here but think the link should be put on here as it is for the good of all.

:eek: Ooo, don't think I dare, I think I'd get into trouble - it's a private (I think) seller on ebay. Of course there are others to choose from on ebay too, so a search on the site brings up several results. I'll PM the one I used to you, NGU x

I read the posts I got a mind picture of a washing line puzzle

What a great idea, I love that!

I'm hoping to do some more "masculine" jigsaws - such as toll box items, hammers, pliers etc. Thought I would find out what the men in the unit did as a living/career.

That's such a good idea, will love to see the results. How will you print the photo onto the puzzle?

Have you seen this site? One of the men in Mum's NH had a red bus one and it was very good quality

http://www.active-minds.co.uk/dementia-jigsaw-puzzles/puzzles

I did see that Lemony - I think they look great, but I was worried that the shapes of the pieces would be too complicated for my mam. On the other hand they must have been designed with Alz/dementia in mind, so I was in a bit of a quandary. I also like the books on that site too.

I'm just glad that what I did has actually had some (albeit small) effect. I was worried the puzzle would just be ignored and have been a waste of time. I'm desperate to give dad even a few minutes' respite from mam clinging on to him all the time, so I'm chuffed to bits.