Things to do with Nan

Daisy_chain

Jul 28, 2014
Hi there,

I am a new member, my dear old Nanny Peg has fairly recently been diagnosed but declining quickly. She recently had a fall and was in hospital for 2 nights which has seemed to send her memory into quick decline.

So on top of her memory and confusion, because of the fall she is no longer as mobile as she used to be (at 94 she was doing extremely well).

She still lives at home (with carers and my Mum and I in 4 times a day). So she will go from one chair to the other, or up to bed. Any time she moves she complains of pain so I am reluctant to try to move her much, and haven’t even dared sit her in the garden as there is a bit of a step out the kitchen door.

When i go round she is staring aimlessly at the TV and seems to have no comprehension of what programme it is. Other than that she will be lying in bed, confused as to how she got up there.

What i am asking is what I can do with my Nan to keep her mind busy and cheer her up while I am there. Yesterday we watched a bit of a kid’s film on the telly, and that is the first thing I have seen her concentrate on for a while, but it is a bit patronizing to bring round kids films! Also she will just fall asleep if we sit watching the telly.

I want her to know I am there and distract her from being confused and lost for a while... if this is possible.

Is there anything you guys do with your relatives?
Any ideas, much appreciated. Thank you:eek:

Last edited: