The World Upside Down.

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Thanks for highlighting this @yosser . I watched it last night and it is very helpful to see typical scenarios approached in different ways and how those differences in communication bring about different outcomes. The discussions and analysis between the audience and actors along the way was thought -provoking too.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
I found this film soo frustrating. When they were talking about "good communication" in families as if talking and planning about what to do if a person develops dementia in the future will help.
I'm sorry but what a load of rubbish. I have had these conversations with both mum and MIL before the illness developed. Both had cared for their own mums through alzheimers and both were very aware how difficult it could be. Both said, don't put yourselves through what we had to do, put us in a home if we get it and it gets too much. Now with both of them its "over my dead body will I go in a home" Both of them forget they have alzheimers and think they're absolutely fine. MIL to the extent that every few minutes its "my mum had alzheimers you know, I'm so lucky its passed me by" , in between us cleaning up poo, throwing away rotting food etc etc. etc
I'm SO ANGRY that the alzheimers association is putting care down to "good communication"

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think the point of having the conversations with someone pre-dementia is to know what their feelings are and, if and when dementia strikes, proceed with how they thought when they were well.

I never had the dementia discussion with my mother but because I knew her stance on over-enthusiastic medical interventions I was able to let her die peacefully and quietly when the time came.