The Trouble with Doors

chridgets

Today, I dropped Bridget off at the library while I went into the grocery store next door. We agreed that we would meet at home. Only 2 - 3 blocks away. When I got home, I found the front door wide open and no one home! B had come home and when she couldn't find me she went off looking for me leaving the door open. Unfortunately, this is not the first time! Also, she leaves the car door open when she gets out. Generally not a problem because I'm always there to close it. But sometimes she goes out to look for her keys, wallet etc. and later when I look, several of the car doors are wide open. We live in a large city and have been broken into in the past. Any ideas? Clearly my frustration is showing and maybe there are no answers - except that I have to always be on the alert. Thanks for listening.
Chris

FifiMo

You can get something like the following which will automatically close the door. http://www.wickes.co.uk/briton-door...match||plid|&gclid=CNSeyJDxhbkCFbLMtAodjEIAbA. You might also need to install a key safe in case Bridget is on wrong side of the door with no keys when it closes. At least someone would be able to let her back into the house though.

Aside from risk of burglaries you might find you are not insured if house had been left unsecured. Worse for me would be the risk of Bridget returning and finding someone unsavoury in the house with her.

As to the car, you might find that a garage could rig things to the car alarm so you can be alerted if nothing else that the door is open. Most cars alert you to this as you drive off and the door isn't properly closed...this would just add an audible alarm to this. Unlike your house door, you'd have to go close your car door!

Fiona

MReader

My husband also has started recently to leave doors and drawers open - cupboard and wardrobe doors as well. Fortunately we live in an apartment and the doors to both the block & our apartment close by themselves as they are fire doors & therefore very heavy.
I have to watch to ensure he closes the car doors as we cannot see our car from any of our windows as it is in the communal car park.
However, although he has trouble closing doors, he is constantly closing windows - even in this hot weather - in case birds fly in !!!
I have no answer to the open door issues except to be constantly vigilant.

chridgets

Thanks, Fiona. We have one on our screen door. It never occured to me to put one on the front door! Another thing to add to the list of modifications I'm making for my very handy brother! We have a key hidden but since I can rarely find it, a safety box is also a great idea. AlsoI will check with our insurance company to see if there is any additional that might help. Thanks
Car door is not such a major problem - more of an annoyance.
Chris

You can get something like the following which will automatically close the door. http://www.wickes.co.uk/briton-door...match||plid|&gclid=CNSeyJDxhbkCFbLMtAodjEIAbA. You might also need to install a key safe in case Bridget is on wrong side of the door with no keys when it closes. At least someone would be able to let her back into the house though.

Aside from risk of burglaries you might find you are not insured if house had been left unsecured. Worse for me would be the risk of Bridget returning and finding someone unsavoury in the house with her.

As to the car, you might find that a garage could rig things to the car alarm so you can be alerted if nothing else that the door is open. Most cars alert you to this as you drive off and the door isn't properly closed...this would just add an audible alarm to this. Unlike your house door, you'd have to go close your car door!

Fiona

chridgets

Thanks, MReader,
Constant vigilance seems to be the name of the game!
Chris

My husband also has started recently to leave doors and drawers open - cupboard and wardrobe doors as well. Fortunately we live in an apartment and the doors to both the block & our apartment close by themselves as they are fire doors & therefore very heavy.
I have to watch to ensure he closes the car doors as we cannot see our car from any of our windows as it is in the communal car park.
However, although he has trouble closing doors, he is constantly closing windows - even in this hot weather - in case birds fly in !!!
I have no answer to the open door issues except to be constantly vigilant.