The marvel of music

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Today has been such a good day in the world of alzheimers.

We had a barbecue, a glass of wine and put on some music.

Mum had a dance and has been singing, laughing. Such a difference from the confused, somber week she has had. She fell asleep kept waking up singing, falling back to sleep, waking up singing.

It just astounds me how they can remember all the words to songs but cannot string a sentence together. I also wander if its the sleep she has caught up on or the fact it is not as hot! It's not even old music it is also new music, I listen to Bruno mars and she loves that and knows the tune to it and even some words. I might start singing things she needs to remember :))

Eternity

Jul 17, 2013
London
It's worth a try - please post and let us know if it works!

Think I read/heard a while ago that music uses a different part of the brain so that may be it - but also catching up on sleep and having fun with family and it being cooler I'm sure helped too

Lovely to hear a positive story

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi

Strange isn't it?

My OH has advanced AD and has no short term memory or long term memory left until he hears some familiar music.:confused: Then he whistles the tune note perfect! He's always been musical and used to sing in a symphony chorus (but he's lost his gorgeous singing voice now)

For someone who can't even remember he's married/friends/how to dress/eat etc that's some achievement.

Take care Lyn T

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Think I've heard that before too eternity, and also that's why some swear when before AD, they wouldn't have dreamt of it. It's apparently there is a part of our brain that store all the things we shouldn't say and this gets affected!

Sorry to hear of your OH losing his singing voice lyn, yes my mum too has lost her short and long term memory! Heartbreaking to watch isn't it.

Well the evening started so well but then mum was up all night packing bags and waking us all up knocking on the bedroom door, she had put on 3 coats and was sweating and in a very confused agitated state!! Pyjamas off and dresses about 8 times, From being so happy and relaxed!!

Xxxxx

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Mum has always liked music (as have I) and we often sing songs together over the phone or she plays her mouth organ. At times she is fine and we have a laugh as well, at other times she is worried she has forgotten a word or gets it wrong and I have to tell her that it doesn't matter - what matters is it is fun even if we do go off key and "la la" some parts. Usually a bit later, I will deliberately fluff a song so that she can tell me I have got it wrong and then we laugh about how silly we are...

Music certainly has many parts to play in "coping" with this disease - Mum now has Radio 3 on virtually all the time. She used to have Radio 2 which had more variety but she got upset by the news and traffic reports and Jeremy Vine and, sadly, now seems to lack the follow through of thought needed to change the station or switch it off if she doesn't like it. So Radio 3 is (mostly) safer.

There has been a lot of research on the effect music has on the brain - this is an interesting one http://longevity3.stanford.edu/henderson/2011/06/07/dementia-and-music-an-experts-point-of-view/

Sorry the rest of the day didn't go so well and hope today is better

Take care

Celia

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Awe that's a lovely experience for your mum Celia, brought a happy understanding lump in my throat!

I am going to use music more often from now on. I have been putting it on for mum and some days she can't cope with the noise. Especially if I put one of those supposedly calming CDs on with tubula bells etc, she hates them lol. But a bit of rod Stewart or 90's music and she's happy. I actually put on rod last night when mum was all agitated and when I had coaxed her back to bed even though she didn't sleep it did have a caing effect on her and she lay in bed just listening to it. So think who could believe it that rod Stewart is going to help me fight this disease lol :) xxx

MReader

Apr 30, 2011
essex
My husband has VD & AD following a stroke & is probably well into mid-stage now

In his pre-dementia days he was a musician, playing trombone for about 65 years

Since his stroke & his dementia progressing, he cannot /will not play or listen to music as he says it is another thing he cannot do & doesn't want to be reminded of his inability to do it - so he would rather not have anything to do with music

Many professionals have tried & failed to get him to play or listen to music - it is very sad

If I have the radio or cd's on he will go out of the room & tell me to turn them off. I find a life without music very grey & dull

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Awe that's such a sad story, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope that one day he will again enjoy music! Because with this disease it can take turns so you never know he may again tap to a tune. Sometimes my mum doesn't want to hear it it annoys her then others it a saving grace xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leigh_77