The Little Girl in the Radiator

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
I know this book has been discussed before and I have read a lot of the posts, but wanted to start a new thread. The book is by Martin Slevins and is about his journey with his mother who has Alzheimers.

I have just finished it at the weekend (after struggling to find the time to read it). I have previously read a number of books before on the subject, but this one was very different.

Firstly it was extremely easy to read and written more like a novel than autobiographical. I am not a person who is easily amused by comedy, but I actually found myself actually laughing out loud at one particular chapter.

Yes- I knew the sadness was coming, and yes I cried when I read later chapters, but I thought it an excellent book, extremely well written.

I know how depressing, upsetting and very challenging it is to care for a person with Alzheimers, and I am certainly not making out the life is in anyway amusing, so I don't mean to offend anyone that way, but if you haven't read it and get the chance I recommend that you read it.

very best wishes to everyone who is fighting this fight :)

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Sounds like an interesting read. I've been through this awful disease with my mum, my aunt and now going through it with dad. It's a terrible, infuriating, devastating journey but there have been moments along the way that have been hilarious. And then the inevitable tears...

I'll look out for it

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
just wanted to say that my copy has arrived, and I am five chapters in. I have already cried (laughter not sadness....yet!) So good.

sweep

Apr 21, 2016
Hi, I'm about half way through the book. It could be written about my mum except she had a little boy who just stood next to the chair - in reality it was a Pringles tube wrapped in a cashmere cardigan !! The book is funny and poignant, an excellent read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokenlady