support groups for relatives

ilavena

May 6, 2012
My mother was diagnosed with vascular dementia 3 years ago and has been in care for just under a year. We are a small family and I take on about 90% of the responsibility for mum. Obviously her being in care has lightened the load considerable and I now visit her a couple of times a week and my brother every fortnight. I do however feel in a very fragile emotional state about my mother condition and wondered if any one knows of an organisation that offers support groups for relatives who are not carers. I think would benefit greatly from talking to others who are in my situation. Many thanks .

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Its worth you ringing your local Alzheimer's Society as they may run 'cafe's' which are meeting groups in the form of coffee mornings, pub lunches etc. Here they were for both carers and sufferers and it may be what you are looking for.
You can find your local branch here.
Just put in your postcode on the right hand side.

You could also see if Age UK, Admiral Nurses or Crossroads run anything in your area.
Best wishes

Andie89

Aug 9, 2013
Liverpool, UK
hello

My dad was diagnosed the exact same 3 years ago too, mum has been caring for him ever since, he went into care a few days ago. I think what you're asking is great, there should be something out there for loved ones of sufferers, where they can go and talk about it. The effect it has on people is just, there are no words. I hope your mum is okay though, and you too :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey