Sudden slight incontinence

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
Hello!
My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's nearly 3 years ago.
I live with and care for her (only child, no family nearby).
Over the past couple of days there's been a new development- when she gets up from her chair there are small wet patches :-/
She has been more sleepy over the past couple of days too.
I've spoken to the gp and antibiotics are arriving tomorrow - I'm hoping it's just a UTI.
Does anyone else recognise this as a symptom of a UTI or could it just be another slide in the condition? Would really appreciate any advice and reassurance as neither of us are ready for permanent incontinence (she's mortified).

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
Hi @Lizbuff, my mum has had three chest infections in the nearly four year's she has lived with us and each time she has become confused and incontinent. When the antibiotics worked their magic, the confusion stopped as did the incontinence - except, following the last infection this spring, we have seen a marked deterioration in her behaviour and she mostly wakes to a wet bed. She knows she is wet but can't comprehend why. I won't even mention how we get through the day!
In fact, I am keeping a log of how things are now as our doctor has referred her to the Bladder & Bowel Clinic and they have asked for lots of information about her diet and 'downstairs habits' and then we can have an appointment. We are hoping for lots of advice as Mum is unable to manage the situation, we must do it for her.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
My wife has had a couple of episodes of wet beds caused by urinary incontinence and a couple of minor leaks during the day but they were one offs and the last time was about 18 months ago.

I hope the antibiotics clear the issue for your mum.

Lizbuff

Apr 9, 2019
Dimpsy, thank you so much for your reply. It's made me very hopeful that it is a UTI and the antibiotics will do the trick. I really hope the bladder and bowel clinic can help ease what must be a very difficult situation for all of you.
Karaoke Pete, I really appreciate your reply too - thank you. I'm really pleased to hear your wife's episodes have stopped and thank you for your good wishes.
Thinking of everyone xx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey