Struggling when I take mum out

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh yes, things like that are very common with dementia. Ill never forget taking mum shopping for some new clothes and she spent all her time commenting about the physical appearance of people especially fat people ("would you look at the a*** on that woman" and "ooh, who ate all the pies?"), comments about what they were choosing ("what do they think they look like in that?" or "talk about mutton dressed as lamb"). Comment about the shop we went into ("Ive never liked it in here - its always so dirty"). On another occasion she opened her handbag with great ceremony and out fell a used pad :eek:

I think you develope a thick skin and a very black sense of humour.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad was particularly taken aback by a bald woman on TV She should wear a wig. I explained that maybe she didn't want to wear a wig or perhaps she had had chemo and lost her hair but it was to no avail he insisted that she should wear a wig.

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Oh yes, things like that are very common with dementia. Ill never forget taking mum shopping for some new clothes and she spent all her time commenting about the physical appearance of people especially fat people ("would you look at the a*** on that woman" and "ooh, who ate all the pies?"), comments about what they were choosing ("what do they think they look like in that?" or "talk about mutton dressed as lamb"). Comment about the shop we went into ("Ive never liked it in here - its always so dirty"). On another occasion she opened her handbag with great ceremony and out fell a used pad :eek:

I think you develope a thick skin and a very black sense of humour.
Oh I wish I could have developed this. I’m a fairly shy, private person and the embarrassment used to cripple me. When my husband used to lock himself in the toilet and could not get out, in the days I before I went in with him, I used to feel we were providing entertainment for the whole cafe. It was mortifying. Kindredx