stru

enquirer

hi
i am posting on behalf of a friend.
she is really struggling with washing her husband - when he wets or soils himself it is a real battle for her to get him to change his clothes. she does try to leave him and go back but things got ugly recently and resulted in a 'tussle'.
what can she do to try and convince him to get changed? any advice would be great. what could she try?
thanks

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @enquirer

I never tried to physically help my dad change after an accident but I do remember how difficult (almost impossible!) it was to persuade him to change. It could take me an hour or two of going in and out of the room, putting clean pants beside him and suggesting he changed because he’d spilt something on his trousers to get the desired result. I used to dread every visit and, because dad didn’t think he was incontinent, it was an uphill struggle.

Eventually this is what decided me to get carers in for dad - he was much more Co-operative with them and they could have him sorted in ten minutes. It saved me a lot of stress. Might this be something your friend would consider?

Harky

hi
i am posting on behalf of a friend.
she is really struggling with washing her husband - when he wets or soils himself it is a real battle for her to get him to change his clothes. she does try to leave him and go back but things got ugly recently and resulted in a 'tussle'.
what can she do to try and convince him to get changed? any advice would be great. what could she try?
thanks
Unsure if your friend is with her husband 24/7 like i am with my wife. I ensure I'm with her at every visit and this has eliminated the problem.