Steps to getting a dignosis for my 75 yo Mother

gs_hertfordshire

Jun 19, 2023
Recently, my mum has been getting more and more erratic, causing arguments with neighbours over parking and being really horrible to my dad. She is forgetful and spiteful towards family members. An example of this was bringing up the name of the person responsible for the death of my brother-in-law from over 20 years ago, which devastated my sister. Some days, my mum will be fine, but these days are becoming rarer, and my sister and niece have also noticed that my mum always feels like everybody is ganging up on her. They have been asking her to get a hearing test and see a doctor about the issues she is facing day to day.

A couple of days ago, she reached out to my sister saying she feels she may have the onset of dementia and that she would be open to getting a doctor's appointment to receive a diagnosis. However, since that text, she has now forgotten about it and refuses to believe that she sent it. She feels that there is nothing wrong with her state of mind, and she believes it's all my dad's fault. She has always been very stubborn, and this is making it difficult to convince her to see a doctor.

I have read a few threads here to see what steps other people are taking, and it seems that the approach to take is to write significant occurances down and email them to her doctor. Hopefully, the doctor will then create an appointment for her under the pretext of a "Well Woman" check-up and have a conversation with her. My fear is that this will happen on a day when she is mentally clear, and the doctor will find nothing wrong.

Things have been bad for our family for a while. My dad drinks heavily every day since retiring 15 years ago and has had a few episodes that caused embarrassment for my mum and the family. This hasn't helped with my mum's deflection and blaming of others, and feeling that she isn't being supported, like we are all taking my dad's side of things. My sister and niece live closer and bear the brunt of these issues, and they are suffering. So, I came to this forum to confirm that the process we need to follow is as I thought and also to seek support in some way, as I know others are going through the same and likely far worse. This is mentally draining, and myself, niece and sister have all been through therapy for different issues in the past.

gs_hertfordshire

Jun 19, 2023
As a follow up to this, I have called my Mothers GP and they have said they won’t reach out to her for them to check Bloods/Urine to make sure this isn’t a medical condition. It has to be down to my Mum to request an appointment.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @gs_hertfordshire and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. I am sorry to hear about your mum. Getting her to go to her GP would be a step towards possible diagnosis (including ruling other things out) but may be difficult. I used to make appointments on my wife's behalf, either by telephone or using online booking. I feel that a GP ought not to insist that a person must themselves make the appointment. My wife had difficulty with using the telephone, so this was a good reason for me to do this on her behalf. Her GP was used to me accompanying my wife to appointments and never questioned my presence. This was helpful in being able to explain the situation (with my wife's permission) and vital in ensuring that what the GP said was not forgotten or ignored.

Things were made easier later when my wife agreed to grant Lasting Power of Attorney.

These links might help:

gs_hertfordshire

Jun 19, 2023
This is great, thanks for sending these articles through. I will take a read through these later today, and report back on here on how I get on. Much appreciated though.
it is indeed a shame about the appointments, the GP told me that there was a note on the account to not let anybody make appointments on behalf of my Mum. I think she is pretty suspicious of anything being put in motion without her say so.

thanks again

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry. This is a very difficult stage where they want to be independent and think they dont have anything wrong with them. Eventually, there will be some sort of crisis which will force her hand, though.