specific anti-social behaviour

veronicamary

Aug 21, 2013
My husband, who is nearly 92 has been diagnosed as having Alzheimers for four years now. To all appearances he is a frail old man, but he is drawn towards young families and makes life impossible when we occasionally get taken out by one or other of our children.
This week our son took us for a pub lunch; my husband never knows know what he wants to eat unless it is vanilla ice cream with a flake and whatever he choses there is always something wrong, either too salt, dry etc.
Every time someone puts cutlery on a plate it is cleared instantly at home as well as out. He doesn't speak to us , but gets up and crashes in on some other peoples' conversations or asks children about school. My son dragged him away and spoke to him about how impolite it is and how embarrassing for all of us, but he ignores us, waits his chance and he is off again!
The result is that I am a perpetually on edge and expecting him to be punched in the face by some irate parent.
At bedtime I asked if he enjoyed his day and he answered Yes, but though he loves his son very much, he will not be dictated to as to how he lives his life. When I tried to explain there was a deathly silence and he turned his back on me.
We are going to stay at a relative's house to house sit for her and I am simply dreading it as everything is fiddled with and altered.
I know that I am very lucky to have had a marvellous man for 50 years, but the last 4 have been dreadful especially as my own health is not good. Has anyone else experienced this sort of behaviour and how do you cope?

veronicamary

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
This is so sad but when they memory fades its simply impossible to expect someone to be able to understand or be rational. The poor husband and FIL must be given a bit of sympathy he has lost his inhibitions is confused and in a way isolated. The effect on his loved ones is awful but its a common enough story. I only wish I could help with constructive advice but all I can add is its not worth going into detail as he won't remember whats said and it is frustrating and upsetting that you can't change him. Now it seems to be just acceptance and a bit of manipulation to make live more comfortable for all.

i don't think I'd upset him with any trips out, or house sitting if it upsets him to go outside his normal routine. But you should go and try to get respite help.

veronicamary

Aug 21, 2013
Thank you

Thank you all for the welcome and it is such a relief to know I am not alone and that people understand what living with Alzheimer's is like. Thank you Jeany for the link you gave me, I will try the card technique as I get so embarrassed trying to apologise for Fred all the time.Bless you

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
This is so sad but when they memory fades its simply impossible to expect someone to be able to understand or be rational. The poor husband and FIL must be given a bit of sympathy he has lost his inhibitions is confused and in a way isolated. The effect on his loved ones is awful but its a common enough story. I only wish I could help with constructive advice but all I can add is its not worth going into detail as he won't remember whats said and it is frustrating and upsetting that you can't change him. Now it seems to be just acceptance and a bit of manipulation to make live more comfortable for all.

i don't think I'd upset him with any trips out, or house sitting if it upsets him to go outside his normal routine. But you should go and try to get respite help.

I have to agree with Fedup. If going out is distressing you so much it is better not to go where you know your husband will disturb others. The house sitting too will not be good for him. You are putting him into unfamiliar surroundings and as you say he will fiddle and touch and you are going to get so stressed out.

We loved our holidays and I tried to keep going as long as I could. But there came time when even 3 days away was a nightmare so we stopped. I was stressed, my husband was confused and agitated by the complete change in environment that the sensible thing to do was to stop. Sad but we face enough problems without adding to them.

Take care,

Jay

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
My husband has not eaten out for a couple of years now. This is to save me being stressed. We have not holidayed together for more than 8 years for similar reasons.

Sometimes it is better to limit these events which may become difficult.

Jeannette

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome from me too. I'm sorry things are so fraught for you just now. I think my husband and I are on the cusp if you see what I mean. We can still manage meals out and holidays but I fear that might not be for much longer. I must admit I feel it might be time for you to consider if it's worth all of the angst.

May I be cheeky and ask if you are a lot younger than your husband? Please feel free not to answer. I'm 21 years younger than mine. x