Sorry it’s long - don’t know where to go next?

Mars808

Jul 25, 2020
Hi All,
Thanks in advance for reading. I’ve not posted here for a while. Dad was formally diagnosed with Alzheimer’s a few years back, he’s had various visits from adult mental health teams and OT.

He lives alone, and one of my siblings lives nearby. Myself and other sibling are a few hundred miles away.

As you’d expect with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s his condition is progressing and there have been a few incident along the way. But he’s been managing day to day to eat and drink, but not much else. He seemed happy enough.

We see now he’s not managing as well as he was, not keeping himself / clothes as clean, concerns about what he’s eating and when. Sibling does food shopping for him.

Poor compliance when taking his meds (diabetes and thyroid), more recently we’ve started noticing him sleeping in bed all day. Not all the time, but enough. Probably not sleeping at night. Doesn’t know where he is etc. confusing one sibling for someone else. Extreme short term memory issues. Forgetting conversations moments after having them. It goes on, as I’m sure some of this is familiar to many of you.

We do not have POA, are going through CoP deputy application currently.

He thinks he’s okay, nothing wrong with him. Will not accept carers coming in - he had a small fire this weekend, no major damage luckily but it’s all building to us having concerns around his safety at home alone.

Last visit from mental health team they suggested a medication box which is alarmed to the ensure medication compliance. Due to very high BP. This has since come down. He refused this and said he was fine and would comply. These visits are very stressful & upsetting for him as he likes to deny his condition.

We know he’s eating but habits are changing, the cognitive skills to cook are decreasing.

We also know he’s going out when he doesn’t need to & unsure when he’s out why he’s out.

Any advice on what we do next? It doesn’t seem like he’s safe living alone, how do we progress / update SS to get help.

He would be self funding but he won’t acknowledge or accept assistance. We can offer to pay for some care if we get the monies back when CoP comes through but it’s likely an hour a day.

It’s all a bit of a struggle and putting a lot of pressure on sibling who lives nearby. Who is being very gracious about it all. But it’s very difficult for them. Neighbours are aware and talking to us and each other about him (not negative- actually helpfully)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mars808

Jul 25, 2020
Sorry for not being clear, dad did cooking. He got distracted … the fire alarms put in by OT alerted the neighbours who in turn alerted us.

Mars808

Jul 25, 2020
So, I thought I’d update here to where we are as it may help someone else out.
After much calling around I managed to get an occupational therapist visit arranged for dad. The OT was fantastic & could see the issues despite the protestations to the contrary that all was well. She referred us to social services who unexpectedly have already been to visit and deemed dad to have lost capacity & we are starting on the carers plan. Not sure how long that will take, but things have happened quicker than we thought.
I think having read previous posts, mentioning a fire (albeit a small one) and the neighbours commenting/discussing him & his situation helped getting the OT round quickly.
There’s still a lot to do. And despite us assuming he had a diagnosis of dementia, as he was stopped from driving and offered dementia meds it’s possible he’s never had an official diagnosis!
It feels very disorganised behind the scenes of the professional support, speaking to multiple agencies who don’t share a single view of the patient. So it’s been a struggle knowing whose dealing with what and who to go to for help so far. Generally the people we’ve dealt with have been good.
Anyway thought Id share as other people’s posts have been very helpful to me & my family.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thank you for this update @Mars808
You are right - there is no joined up thinking and it can be difficult for carers to know how and where to get help.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
You are a few hundred miles away as you say, yet clearly engaged and concerned. This in itself will help the sibling who is nearest. Not all who post on here are equally blessed.

Mars808

Jul 25, 2020
Thanks both. I do wonder how people who are caring for someone and trying to navigate the system alone manage to make any headway. The strength of character and love shown by many here is remarkable.
We are lucky as we can share the load to some extent. Doesn’t feel very even sometimes.

Sunshine11!

Feb 11, 2022
I really empathise with you re the joined up thinking. It’s appalled me how many times I’ve had ro repeat things to people, even within the same agency. Sending best wishes to you

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motherofmine