social services care package

nimue

Jan 29, 2018
My mum has vascular dementia in the fourth year. She is unable to communicate, make a decision an has severe mobility problems. Dad is 87 and her only carer. We have just asked the social for a little help they said mum needs to be assessed which all seemed good but I have just spoken to them and I am very worried as the lady said that as nobody had power of attorney for health that if they decided a care package for mum we cant not stop them do what the want. All dad wanted was someone to help with bathing her. Are we able to refuse a care package should it be given or stop the process?

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo nimue,
That sounds like an odd thing for the social worker to say. My OH's care package was initiated by the hospital social worker, but as her main carer I have been involved in advising what is needed and have made sure I was included in any changes. You and your dad should ask for clarification and explain what you think your mum needs and what she would accept.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I think you have possibly misunderstood that somewhere.

The procedure would be that they would come out, asses her need, and between you , your dad and the S/W ( and mum if she can contribute) just what help is required and if it can be provided.

Don't worry too much, if a PWD ,doesn't want a say a bath, the carer wont force them- they are just not allowed to. Cajole, encourage but not force the issue.

Paul in Brum

Feb 26, 2018
Dear Nimue.
My advice is to start Lasting Powers of Attorney ASAP, for finances and healthcare as well. This way, you have the power to make important descisions on behalf of your parent, for when they are incapable of being able to do it themselves. I did it through my Mum's Solicitors. You only have to pay them once, but have the peace of mind that everything has been done and approved legally. Don't try and do it yourself to save money. It is a nightmare to do on your own, and will take you months and months. It will cause you much heartache and strain emotionally.

Paul in Brum

pipd

Apr 12, 2015
Leigh on Sea Essex
I have done power of attorney for both my parents and found it very straightforward to do online, you are guided every step of the way and only have to pay the official fees ( not any extra costs for a solicitor ) if the person you are doing it for has a low income the fees are reduced too. It takes a few weeks to be registered which I imagine the solicitor wouldn't be able to bypass this stage so would likely take the same amount of time whether you do it yourself or use a solicitor.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dear Nimue.
My advice is to start Lasting Powers of Attorney ASAP, for finances and healthcare as well. This way, you have the power to make important descisions on behalf of your parent, for when they are incapable of being able to do it themselves. I did it through my Mum's Solicitors. You only have to pay them once, but have the peace of mind that everything has been done and approved legally. Don't try and do it yourself to save money. It is a nightmare to do on your own, and will take you months and months. It will cause you much heartache and strain emotionally.

Paul in Brum

No I disagree with that as I have just done it for my dad. At first it looked very daunting but once I took out all of the pages that did not need signing it was much more manageable. I filled in the bits that dad and I had to fill in then we popped over to see his neighbours who had kindly agreed to help. One of them witnessed and the other one signed to say dad still had capacity. Job done.

Don't waste time and money on solicitors it is much easier, quicker and a hell of a lot cheaper to get neighbours or family friends to sign. I should have done it ages ago but the sheer number of pages put me off. Just remove those that don't need signing and then put them back before you post it.

I have received confirmation that POA will be granted as long as there are no objections within a four week period.

Easy peasy.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
From the gov.uk website about making an LPA "You must be 18 or over and have mental capacity (the ability to make your own decisions) when you make your LPA". Nimue seems to be saying that her mother does not have capacity, in which case an LPA is not an option for her.

Scriv

Feb 2, 2018
We also did our LPOAs on line... very easy to do as long as you or someone is confident on-line. It is much much cheaper than via a solicitor.

However, Sirena is correct - if your mum has already lost capacity, then the LPOA is not an option.