So proud of mum today

JeanD

Sep 16, 2008
Lincolnshire
It is one year today since we lost dad. Mum has not really adjusted to having an empty house and time on her hands. But her Breast Cancer support group Christmas dinner was scheduled for today. She was not sure whether she ought to go, but we all said dad was always up for a party and wouldn't want her to miss it.

She had a good time with her new friends, drove one lady there who can't get about easily, explained to her about Attendance Allowance and took her to the council offices on the way home to get the forms. And has volunteered to go and sit with one of the other ladies, who has Alzheimer's, so her husband can get out a bit. She is going for 2 hours this weekend for a start.

It is funny how things turn out. The local Alzheimer's support group won't let people attend meals when the first anniversary of their loved one's death has passed. Mum stopped going a couple of months ago because the people she was closest too had already had to leave. We thought her being diagnosed with cancer was a cruel blow, only 3 weeks after dad died. Now, if she had a choice, I don't think she would change it. She met so many lovely people through having cancer, and still sees some of her friends from the Alzheimer's group.

She puts me to shame, I have spent the day crying in cupboards at work.

Jean

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
your mum sounds a very caring lovely mum its no wonder your proud of her Jean love larivy

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
It is amazing the courage and strength we find when we have to. Your mum showed it in abundance today and I would have been proud of her too.

xxTinaT