Sleeping such a lot...is this normal?

Theodog

May 12, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello, this is my first post on TP although once I discovered it I have been reading posts almost daily and I have to say that I have gained more information and insight in to the symptoms of dementia than from any other source just by reading other peoples experiences. My story is this...I care for my 84 year old mum who has AZ/VD, she was diagnosed approx. 18months ago although I feel that she was showing some signs of dementia some years before this. She currently lives next door to me but has only been able to live alone because I am so close and see to everything for her. As well as her dementia she also has macular degeneration ( very little central vision) she is insulin reliant diabetic and has heart failure. We (my husband and I) are responsible for her insulin as she cannot see to administer this herself. Her dementia is not always apparent but is getting increasingly worse by the week, she thinks people are in her spare bedroom, thinks relatives who are dead are still alive, thinks her husband (my dad) is still alive although he died 16 years ago and I could go on and on although I am sure you all know exactly what I mean, other times you can have a 'normal' conversation with her for a few minutes, people who meet her for the first time do not realise she has dementia as she is in hostess mode.

I am sorry if I am rambling on, but once you get started its hard to not let everyone know the full picture. Mum is very depressed most of the time, and for the last 3/4 weeks she is sleeping nearly all day and will not get up when I ask her to. I have to go round and get her breakfast and medication/insulin etc, and she must eat when she has had insulin for it to work properly, this is sometimes a struggle as she wants to go straight back to sleep and does not understand the implications of not eating. So she will stay in bed till lunchtime when I then have to get her lunch which she eats and wants to go straight back to bed....is this one of the symptoms of dementia, or could it be depression, I am so confused with this dreadful illness, just when you think you have is sussed something else hits you in the face, there is no end to it...sorry if I'm moaning as I know so many of you have far more to contend with than I do, at least mum dresses herself and is continent etc its just she is so miserable most of the time and I cant get her interested in anything anymore, she was such a talkative, busy lady, but now.........well its so sad.

Thankyou to anyone who reads my post, I was looking for anyone who has had a similar experience regards the sleeping (although most of you seem to have the opposite problem, lack of sleep!!!)

Hey ho onwards and upwards,

Theodog

May 12, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thank you Beate I hadn't seen this thread, very useful, so it appears that it is not unusual.

I will keep swimming, what else can we do. Thank you