Sleeping a lot

SueL2

Apr 5, 2018
Hi,
My Mother in Law has been diagnosed for about 2 1/2 years now Andy is 81 years old. She has recently started sleeping very late, until lunchtime or even 5/6 pm. Then going back to bed to sleep at 8.30/9.00 pm. And she sleeps very soundly.
This has only happened for the last couple of months.

Why is this? And is it just a phase.
We don’t think it’s medication as that has hard,y changed.

Many thanks and much love
Sue

YorkshireLass

Feb 15, 2017
Ilkley
Hi,
My Mother in Law has been diagnosed for about 2 1/2 years now Andy is 81 years old. She has recently started sleeping very late, until lunchtime or even 5/6 pm. Then going back to bed to sleep at 8.30/9.00 pm. And she sleeps very soundly.
This has only happened for the last couple of months.

Why is this? And is it just a phase.
We don’t think it’s medication as that has hard,y changed.

Many thanks and much love
Sue
Hi Sue, welcome to Talking Point. My mum has Alzheimer's and I find sometimes she sleeps day and night for 3 or 4 days and then we have periods of time where she doesn't go to "proper" sleep at all just dozes for a few minutes and then is awake and agitated day and night and will not stay in bed through the night. During her almost comatose periods I used to be really upset and think that we were coming to a conclusion and soon it might all be over. Not the case as we jump back on the roller coaster that is Alzheimer's disease messing with her brain. After a year of mum being in residential care and visiting her every single day I have learnt to take one day at a time.
You will find lots of information, advice and emotional support on here xx

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @SueL2, a welcome to TP from me too. Generally you will find this a friendly, informative and supportive place.
This sleeping phase is often mentioned (my own wife could sleep all day). I think it can be a combination of the meds and the brain just getting tired out by the effort to keep going. I just let my wife be as she is happier when sleeping.