Sky

simonwhu

Oct 6, 2014
Phoned Sky this morning to cancel mum's Sky. They won't do it unless she give verbal confirmation. She won't understand. So I have to wait for the copies of the Powers of Attorney to come back from the attendance allowance people, 2 weeks so far, and then i'll have to write to sky and cancel it with the powers of attorney. I know they have security checks but I gave them the right password.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Just phone them again....as her!!:D Unless you have a video phone, they will not know the difference...especially if you speak more slowly.

Remember to stop the DD with the Bank too.:)

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
It's their policy to try and hang on to income as long as possible. Just cancel the direct debit they'll soon want to talk to you.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Forgot to say...if there is a Sky Box...ask for a returns label and bag to send it back to them.:D

When I cancelled my brother in laws subscription I had to wait in until Sky sent someone out to collect their box etc.

Just read Nebiroth and it was,Virgin that I had to wait in for. I found myself dealing with the affairs of a brother in law I had never been involved with so it was all a bit of a blur trying to do the right thing in clearing up his assets and liabilities as well as a funeral.

Last edited:

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
You shouldn't. The Sky box is your property, even if you got it free as par tof a deal. That's why you have to pay for your own repairs, outsid eof warranty.

Unlike Virgin, where the box etc still belongs tothem, you in effect rent it, so they pay to replace or fix it...and take it away if you cancel.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There are few people who match the Sky retentions department for making your life difficult, in the end I wrote them a letter telling them to cancel as it was impossible by phone. After you have sent them notice you are leaving and saying when then cancel the direct debit or you may be in breach of the 30 days notice clause and could still legally owe them money. Then brace yourself for dozens of marketing calls.
K

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi!..I know there are rules..but when things like this happen..they should be able to accomodate...how ever will the company cope with the massive amount of people with dementia??..I have verbally confirmed a power of attorney..when dealing with bills..they generally say ok and allow me to help!....if you dont get anywhere..keep raising your voice!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Isabella

Jan 4, 2014
Like others have said, just pretend to be her. I've done that so many times, if I'd had to send power of attorney cert to all of them it would have taken years to sort out all mum's accounts. Not sure how convincing my 75 year old lady voice is, but no-one ever questioned it.

Liz57

Dec 22, 2013
When my husband died, I tried to get the post office to put my name on the account instead of his. They kept asking for the account holder despite having a copy of the death certificate. In the end I told them to get an ouija board and wished them luck!