Side affects on Aripiprazole, is it ok to take?

KP1985

Jul 13, 2015
Watford
Hi everyone, My dad (67) late stage Alzheimer's is on Aripiprazole 2.5mg and has drug induced dystonia and knee knocking. He has previously been sectioned so his care is primarily through the mental health team now, he lives in a care home. My mum and I are keen to try and take him off this drug but the GP and consultant are both pushing back to mental health team. The process is painfully slow and so I wondered does anyone have any experience of Aripiprazole side effects? and did coming off the medication help? Thank you.
Kate

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi everyone, My dad (67) late stage Alzheimer's is on Aripiprazole 2.5mg and has drug induced dystonia and knee knocking. He has previously been sectioned so his care is primarily through the mental health team now, he lives in a care home. My mum and I are keen to try and take him off this drug but the GP and consultant are both pushing back to mental health team. The process is painfully slow and so I wondered does anyone have any experience of Aripiprazole side effects? and did coming off the medication help? Thank you.
Kate
If I've read it correctly according the NHS website it should be prescribed to people with AZ, might be for the best if you check it out.
K

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Lists Alzheimers/dementia as 'Who may not be able to take aripiprazole' .
It's up to the prescriber to assess and decide.
Talk to them about the pros and cons of prescribing.