Should I go ahead with MRI

sueroydon

May 1, 2016
Hi

My Mum has had a CT scan and am waiting for results. Another appointment has come through for an MRI. Mum found the CT scan traumatic and I think she will not cope well well with an MRI. Is it necessary/normal for the doctor to request 2 scans?

I need to make the call to the doctor for the result of the CT scan. I think I know what the answer will be be which frightens the life out of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I would explain to the doctor that your mum found the CT scan traumatic & ask if it really nessessary to put her through an MRI.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Usually an MRI is used to look for damage caused by dementia, but if your mum wouldnt be able to cope with it then you need to explain this to the doctor. Could you do this at the time when you phone up for her CT result?

Dayperson

Feb 18, 2015
I've had both an MRI and CT scan and although I don't have dementia, I found them pretty stressful as they made me claustrophobic and I don't usually have a problem with them.

One trick I did use was to look at the little mirror above my head and trick my brain that I can see my legs even though they were above my head.

I would definitely voice your concerns with the doctor about taking the test.

Just had a thought, I remember seeing on TV that the way they get children to keep still for the scan is to give them an anesthetic or there is some special routine. Maybe it's worth asking.

sueroydon

May 1, 2016
Thanks for your helpful replies. Got the results of her CT scan tonight and it's clear! MRI booked for Saturday so I guess something will show up on that. Just need to know now.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

theunknown

Apr 17, 2015
Sue, having had a CT scan myself about three years ago, I found it pretty traumatic, and I was in good health. My mum, who is now in a care home, but has been sectioned and had to go through various scans, found the experience pretty terrifying. It didn't help that she has asthma and CoPD, so felt it would be claustrophobic. The thought of it is worse than the reality. With any luck the NHS staff carrying out the examination will help to make the patient as relaxed as possible because their first thought is usually to help.