Should I be concerned that myOH with FTP won’t get out of bed today?

masquereader

Jun 8, 2022
First of all, I know many of you are dealing with much greater challenges, so please forgive me for raising this, but it is worrying me.

My OH has frontotemporal dementia, and is also physically frail: in fact, it is the physical frailty that seems to be worsening most rapidly at the moment; plus I’m pretty sure he’s depressed - who wouldn’t be? One thing that’s quite marked about his mental condition is that it’s at its worst in the morning, and gets progressively better during the day. I’ve got used to him choosing not to get up until about eleven, when he can usually be tempted downstairs by coffee, although he sometimes comes down in his dressing gown. He won’t have breakfast unless prompted, or any other meal, apart from the cereal he helps himself to at bedtime, unless it’s put in front of him.

Today however it’s nearly 3pm and he’s still refusing to get out of bed; except to use the toilet, which thankfully he has done (not a given, I know). When asked, he replied that he was feeling well, but that it [getting up] was overrated. I took some soup and bread up for him at lunchtime. Am I right in thinking this is depression rather than dementia? Am I doing the right thing leaving him to it, apart from making sure he has food and hydration?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It sounds like depression to me @masquereader but I would get medical advice to confirm it.

On the one hand I would continue as you are doing and leave him to decide what he wants to do. Life may be too challenging for him to face and it may easier for him to stay in the comfort of his bed.

Of course this is not good practice long term which is why his doctor may be able to help.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
My dad was like this. He just got up later and later as time went on, he also got frailer and frailer. Dad had alzhiemers not FTD but perhaps it is just one of those dementia things. I used to to say 'come on dad, it's 4 in the afternoon but he would just reply that 'it's comfortable in here so why should I get up' He usually did get up eventually but then he would just nod off in his chair and I would feel mean for making him get up. I don't think that dad was depressed, I think he was just tired.

I worried that if he did not get up then eventually he would be too weak to get up but that happened anyway so no answers really.