Serious question for a usually humerous subject : flatulence

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I know, I know that the subject of breaking wind can cause laughter and humour, and I have nothing against that - lord knows, there are times when I've laughed my socks off at some 'wind provoked incident' - but this is actually getting to be a major issue, one that's causing some upset, in our house :(

Mil is anaemic, iron tablets and diet are helping to improve the condition, she has categorically refused exploratory minor surgery that might help identify and treat the anaemia more effectively, so iron tablets are - according to the doctor - the only option. The iron tablets cause constipation - I am trying to combat this mainly through diet, but a couple of times a week, for the sake of Mil's comfort, I have to resort to laxatives. The doctor has just said we are to continue with at least another month on the iron tablets.

The combination of iron tablets, the constipation, the laxatives and the diet to boost iron and help prevent constipation are having the results you might expect. Mil is greatly troubled by excessive flatulence. And its horrendous. She seems unable to control it, and most of the time doesn't appear to try. Indoors, outdoors, in restaurants, shops - its a couple of dozen times a day, and - sorry to be blunt - the smell is foul and it lingers.

Sometimes Mil is extremely embarrassed - and that's awful to see, its so humiliating for her, on the occasions that she does seem aware and bothered, and she gets dreadfully upset.

All of the time, its awful for us. Walking into her room to wake her is like walking into a cloud of sulphur. Trying to sit in the same room to watch TV is unpleasant. Last night, she did it whilst she and my daughter were eating - daughter was actually heaving, and put her meal in the bin - she couldn't face it, and I really don't blame her.

We have bought room fragrances, stick on 'push sprays' everywhere, have super strength sprays as back up, and 4 days ago, started Mil on charcoal tablets - so far, no improvement. Checking it out diet wise, it seems that all the things I am giving her to help with the constipation and iron are foods that will contribute to this problem, as are the laxatives.

We try not to comment - none of us want to upset Mil - but its actually an issue that's causing a lot of misery for us all, and I am at my wits end. It really is impossible to sit with her some nights, and even one of her support workers says that in the car with Mil, its almost impossible to cope with - she has had to stop and get out for fresh air, because her eyes have been watering and she has nearly choked.

Please, has anyone any suggestions? Thank you x

Lady Phoenix

Account Closed
Feb 8, 2014
Various
Reminds me of a comment I heard

Children are like farts....You can tolerate your own but other peoples stink.

But seriously. Does your MIL eat a lot of meat or processed foods?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Reminds me of a comment I heard

Children are like farts....You can tolerate your own but other peoples stink.

But seriously. Does your MIL eat a lot of meat or processed foods?

Not processed - I like to cook, and its rare that I don't use fresh ingredients and cook from scratch. Meats - yep - part of the issue is that I've been told to help the anaemia to serve red meat at least 3/4 times a week - so lamb chops, stews, casseroles, roasts, liver and onions ect, all feature in her diet. In between, she has fresh chicken and fish. She is very traditional in her tastes, forget curry, stir fries, pasta, that sort of thing :(

Diet wise, I'm told that what she eats is good for the iron levels and constipation, and I honestly don't know of any way I can change that to reduce this other problem :(

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
It sounds awful, not sure what would help
Has MiL had antibiotics for UTIs etc? If so, some probiotics to increase friendly gut bacteria might help
You can get charcoal pads to put in underwear
Smaller meals, and making sure she chews everything well
Different foods affect different people, if you see what I mean. Could you keep a "food and flatulence" diary to see if there are particular foods which trigger worse wind?

Lady Phoenix

Account Closed
Feb 8, 2014
Various
Damn, when I wrote that reply I forgot about the anemia. It looks like you are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The meat is helping with the anemia but at the same time it looks like its contributing towards the excessive wind. Remove the bad and you also remove the good.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Peppermint, I haven't tried - I know she will not drink herbal teas, but maybe a cordial or capsule would help - thank you, heading out to the shops shortly, so that has gone on my list :)

Charcoal pads - I will do a search for them, but its a problem to get her to use incontinence pads, for her 'little accidents' - she either denies she needs them or forgets - but, I will try anything - thank you. The 'diet diary' I've done - can't see anything that makes it worse or better. Smaller meals I am doing - mainly because she is forgetting she is eating and demanding more, and I am worried about weight gain. I can encourage her to chew, though i don't know if she will accept that.

She has just done it again - the best is, she stands, it happens - and she then leaves the room!!!!!

Beenie

Jan 14, 2013
Surrey
Just wondering if a rennie or something similar would help after each meal, it might send the wind upwards rather than downwards x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Poor lady, it sounds like her system is very overloaded with toxins, has she had liver function tests?, would you be able to manage to get her to drink lemon juice in warm water as a cleanser?

I have this problem to a minor degree since my symptoms started and it is the lack of control which is awful and embarrassing, I have lost my sense of smell too most of the time so hope it doesn't cause too much problem for others:eek: I get severe heartburn too and if I can't expel the wind upwards it causes difficulty swallowing. I asked my GP to put me on omeperazole which he did. I take it (not always because I forget) but when it is particularly bad and it helps.

I hope you find something that helps.
Best wishes
Sue

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009

I find that chewing gum helps me, I think the gas is produced by bacteria not by swallowing air (for me) and as my immune system is affected struggles to cope with it and slows down my gut motility. I also am aware that when I am not good I 'overeat' so do not want to eat more to try and help it. Chewing gum can improve gut motility by stimulating the digestive process which begins in the mouth. It does seem to help my indigestion if I chew ( I was never gum chewer before my symptoms)

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Thank you everyone :) Peppermint capsules bought - we'll see!

Stanley, the GP recommended the charcoal tablets - but as I said - 4 days, no change :(

She isn't able to always remember not to swallow gum, Sue, and Beenie, we have tried gaveston to no avail - again, the GP said that ant-acid rememdy was the best for her to take.

I've got my fingers crossed that the peppermint helps :)

Beenie

Jan 14, 2013
Surrey
Good luck Anne Mac! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! If all else fails it's going to have to be pegs on noses! x

Benrese

Apr 12, 2014
Lancashire
I must laugh that I have something I can finally be helpful with on the boards, since my arrival here!

I've a family member who has had a surgery on their stomach which also causes this "issue". I researched my socks off and found the following on eBay:

Devrom

They come in chewable banana flavoured tablets, 2 tablets 3 times a day and guess what? MUCH better. I would say better than Charcoal.

It's hard to find, but the only place so far I've located it is eBay.

Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Devrom-in...auty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item1c40880742

Luck to you!

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I must laugh that I have something I can finally be helpful with on the boards, since my arrival here!

I've a family member who has had a surgery on their stomach which also causes this "issue". I researched my socks off and found the following on eBay:

Devrom

They come in chewable banana flavoured tablets, 2 tablets 3 times a day and guess what? MUCH better. I would say better than Charcoal.

It's hard to find, but the only place so far I've located it is eBay.

Here is the link:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Devrom-in...auty_Vitamins_Supplements&hash=item1c40880742

Luck to you!

Thank you - will get some ordered :D

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Update :)

Just to let you know, and say Thank you :)

Mil now been on the peppermint oil capsules for 4 days, and (fingers and toes crossed) they really do seem to have helped :D Less in frequency and (how to put this delicately?) when it does happen the 'effect' is no longer so bad that our eyes water!

Thank you so much to all who offered suggestions - you've helped make a life a lot pleasanter for Mil and us :) xxxx