Sending a well earned message....Well done to ALL the Carers!

Jopaco

Aug 31, 2019
I haven't logged on here for a few years. Thought I was doing well as I was, or 'thought' I was a strong person who just got on with it all. .... A few years on and 'wow' its been challenging, HARD, emotional and exhausting. Probably in the same predicament as many of you. I gave up my role as a childcare provider when we went into lockdown to take over full care of my elderly mum now aged 92 (93 in April, bless her) whom was living in sheltered housing but classed as independent living as no help available on site. (which wasn't stated when placing her there)..... Fast forward to 2024, I now have my fragile mum living with me since Aug 2023. She had many falls and progression with her health, Social services, Carers etc, that I just had to finally throw in the towel and have her here with me. During the many weeks in hospital where I eventually asked/agreed for help, came across further stress and anxiety trying to place her in a suitable care home. As we needed financial support from our local council, the care homes on offer were awful! and I mean awful! and I did report my findings which lead me to have my mum with me. Even though many say I'm mad..... should have extra help etc, All I can say at this stage is...... Well done to all of you whom are doing your best. Being there for your loved ones, showing patients, blood sweat & tears..... Chin up, 'sing' , silently or openly 'scream' (where possible).... it helps. But further more.... Smile & laugh daily! You all are fantastic human beings whom are selfless and lovely..... be proud of whom you are and again keep smiling....... (hope to log back in soon, if you want to comment ) thanks for reading my post much love, Jopaco xxx

Anotherz

Sep 25, 2018
As we needed financial support from our local council, the care homes on offer were awful! and I mean awful!
This is a big big problem. I think the CQC should change their rating system. Currently (with my thoughts) ratings are:

Outstanding (the only rating with meaning, meaning "good").
Good (there is some good care, even if it's highly variable, and frequently falls well short of being "good").
Requires improvement (bad).
Inadequate (hell on earth).

I think an "adequate" rating should be slotted into the middle.

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
This is a big big problem. I think the CQC should change their rating system. Currently (with my thoughts) ratings are:

Outstanding (the only rating with meaning, meaning "good").
Good (there is some good care, even if it's highly variable, and frequently falls well short of being "good").
Requires improvement (bad).
Inadequate (hell on earth).

I think an "adequate" rating should be slotted into the middle.
Mums been in three care homes and I take CQC ratings with a very big pinch of salt.
Her first home was rated as outstanding but it fell well short on anything but the easiest of care cases.
Her second home was rated as good but was borderline unsafe.
Her current home was initially rated as inadequate but is now rated as good. The care they give to both residents and relatives is the gold standard that others should be judged by.

I believe the system used by CQC is the same used for schools, so hardly surprising it doesn't quite match reality.

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
All I can say at this stage is...... Well done to all of you whom are doing your best. Being there for your loved ones, showing patients, blood sweat & tears..... Chin up, 'sing' , silently or openly 'scream' (where possible).... it helps. But further more.... Smile & laugh daily! You all are fantastic human beings whom are selfless and lovely..... be proud of whom you are and again keep smiling
Well said @Jopaco

Luzka

Mar 9, 2024
I haven't logged on here for a few years. Thought I was doing well as I was, or 'thought' I was a strong person who just got on with it all. .... A few years on and 'wow' its been challenging, HARD, emotional and exhausting. Probably in the same predicament as many of you. I gave up my role as a childcare provider when we went into lockdown to take over full care of my elderly mum now aged 92 (93 in April, bless her) whom was living in sheltered housing but classed as independent living as no help available on site. (which wasn't stated when placing her there)..... Fast forward to 2024, I now have my fragile mum living with me since Aug 2023. She had many falls and progression with her health, Social services, Carers etc, that I just had to finally throw in the towel and have her here with me. During the many weeks in hospital where I eventually asked/agreed for help, came across further stress and anxiety trying to place her in a suitable care home. As we needed financial support from our local council, the care homes on offer were awful! and I mean awful! and I did report my findings which lead me to have my mum with me. Even though many say I'm mad..... should have extra help etc, All I can say at this stage is...... Well done to all of you whom are doing your best. Being there for your loved ones, showing patients, blood sweat & tears..... Chin up, 'sing' , silently or openly 'scream' (where possible).... it helps. But further more.... Smile & laugh daily! You all are fantastic human beings whom are selfless and lovely..... be proud of whom you are and again keep smiling....... (hope to log back in soon, if you want to comment ) thanks for reading my post much love, Jopaco xxx
I care for my mother who is in her early stages of Alzheimer's. Thank you for your words of encouragement and for showing us your resilience and compassion. if we are amazing human beings you are amazing! xxx

Luzka

Mar 9, 2024
I care for my mother who is in her early stages of Alzheimer's. Thank you for your words of encouragement and for showing us your resilience and compassion. if we are fantastic human beings as you said, I think you are amazing! xxx