Selling a property LPA

caro66

Feb 18, 2024
My Uncle is in a care home, he has Alzheimers. I have LPA and am in the process of selling his home to pay for his care home.
Solicitors have said they need to speak to him the ensure he is okay with selling his house, I am not happy is this a legal requirement? He already suffers terrible anxiety, he has fluctuating capacity which is getting worse. I thought the idea of LPA was in such circumstances I could act on his behalf. I forgot to mention it will cost us £400 for the solicitor to come out and speak to him

backin

Feb 6, 2024
As my mums lpa, i sold her house no problem.
Is the lpa the sort to take over immediately or when person no longer has capacity?

Has the care home applied for dols? Maybe they or doctors /social services can help without needing to upset your uncle.

caro66

Feb 18, 2024
As my mums lpa, i sold her house no problem.
Is the lpa the sort to take over immediately or when person no longer has capacity?

Has the care home applied for dols? Maybe they or doctors /social services can help without needing to upset your uncle.
thank you i'm not sure i assumed it was to do what's in their best interests, he had fluctuating capacity, he's just had a DOLs assessment.
I suggested to the solicitors that i would contact the GP regarding capacity solicitor replied 'we dont want to trouble you to do this we'll come and speak to your uncle'
I don't like their tone

backin

Feb 6, 2024
If they don't listen can you change solicitor or speak to another one. At least ask what dementia training they have. I don't know what is involved in their assessment, may be ask. Perhaps someone here has been through the process.
I certainly agree it is not their place to adopt the 'we don't want to trouble you' path. I know what my response to that would be 😁

caro66

Feb 18, 2024
If they don't listen can you change solicitor or speak to another one. At least ask what dementia training they have. I don't know what is involved in their assessment, may be ask. Perhaps someone here has been through the process.
I certainly agree it is not their place to adopt the 'we don't want to trouble you' path. I know what my response to that would be 😁
Im going to email them now ask for clarification

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Lots of people here have sold houses with POA. I sold one and nothing was ever asked about mum - I just needed to send the POA so they could check it.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @caro66 and welcome to the forum. I think this process probably varies depending on the solicitor. I sold mum's house using LPA a few years ago and the solicitor requested a letter from her care home to confirm that she was a resident but also asked if they could visit to 'ID' mum. They did have some photo ID for mum but it seemed that this was an extra measure/assurance on behalf of both the buyers solicitors and themselves to ensure that everything was 'above board'. We didn't have any objections and someone turned up from the solicitor's office, mum was brought to the reception area and they didn't speak to her or ask any questions, just signed something to say that they had seen mum and then left. They didn't charge us for this, so I think it may be a good idea to check with your solicitor to clarify the reason for the visit and what it would entail, and ask for a breakdown of the £400 they are charging for this.