Seeking help. Mum passed away and her husband is in a care home with Dementia

Adzd

Mar 18, 2020
Hi all,
I don't know if anybody can help, but any comments are advice are greatly appreciated.#
I lost my Mum suddenly on Thursday last week, I am still in shock and struggling to come to terms with her loss.
Her husband has mixed dementia and has been in care for around two months, he was diagnosed around two years ago but only went in to a home a couple of months ago as Mum couldn't physically provide the level of care required.
Now Mum has passed away I am executor of her will.
I don't know where to start?
The will states that in the event of my Mum's death, the estate is to be shared equally between myself and my Mum's husbands two daughters.
My questions are, does anybody know what happens to the estate now?
Do I have to apply for probate?
Will the estate be sold off and the funds be put in to an account to pay for my Mums husbands care home fees?
Do the Government take all of the money for care costs once the estate is sold off?
I'm at a complete loss as to what I am supposed to do next?
Personally I am struggling with Mum's death being unexpected and I can't grieve whilst worrying about what I have to do next.
Any help would be appreciated.
Many Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is difficult to get your head round everything at a time like this. At least you know your dad is being looked after during this difficult time.

I assume that your mums estate consists of her half of their house and any savings that she had. The other half of their house will still belong to your dad. Unfortunately, you are right in that because your mum is no longer living in the house your dads half of it can now be used for his care home fees.

Yes, I think that the house will be best sold and then half of the money will be your dads and the other half (your mums half) will be divided according to your mums will. The LA cannot touch the money that will be left to you from your mum, only your dads half. Probate will indeed have to be done here - you may want to get a solicitor to do the probate.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Adzd
a warm welcomevto DTP
I'm sorry you have arrived here under such sad circumstances ... please accept my condolences
it must be hard needing to grieve for your mum and have such responsibilities

as executor, you do not have to do all the paperwork and tasks yourself, you are at liberty to appoint a solicitor to act on your behalf ... given how your mum's estate is to be dealt with, it may take some of the pressure from you

without knowing your mum's and her husband's financial situation, it's hard to answer your questions ... though her estate must be dealt with as per her will, it isn't available to her husband

Adzd

Mar 18, 2020
Thank you both for your replies.
The estate consists of a house which was in both Mum and Dads name, and there are several savings accounts, ISA's and pensions.
Do you know if probate costs can normally be taken from the estate after probate has been granted, or will I have to pay for probate up front?
Thanks again

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I got a solicitor to sort out the probate and once the estate was shared out the solicitor had already deducted their fee. Nothing had to be paid up front.

Adzd

Mar 18, 2020
I got a solicitor to sort out the probate and once the estate was shared out the solicitor had already deducted their fee. Nothing had to be paid up front.
Thank you.
I think my next step is to contact a solicitor tomorrow to try and sort this out, then I will start on valuing the estate etc.
Thank you all so much, it's amazing to have people who understand and can offer help and advice.
I will be using this forum now I have found it.
Thank you all again

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mary Kupperberg