Seeking Diagnosis

ESA_7

Jun 23, 2024
Hello, I am asking some advice about my 73 year old Dad. My Dad has been struggling with his memory for a few years, for the last year he has been becoming very confused and extremely anxious around computer based admin and his phone. When he becomes anxious he's unable to recall basic information (date of birth for example). In the last 6 months he's become unable to use his mobile phone apart from calls, struggling to use his TV and more recently his computer which he was previously really confident in using. I have tried to address this with him as well as trying to get him to attend the opticians and hearing appointment which he completely refuses. He is in good spirits but the level of support he needs is growing. Can anyone provide any advice on getting their loved on to the doctor?

Thanks!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to the forum @ESA_7

Your best bet is to keep a diary of the times your Dad has caused you concern. Take that to his doctor and ask for their advice. They will hopefully decide on further action.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
Have you raised your concerns to him? I did with my husband and he thinks there is nothing wrong but he showing all the signs of dementia. Made appointment for him to see gp and told him he has been called for well man clinic. Prior to appointment I email gp with my concerns about his memory and behaviour. He failed the memory tests gp gave him and is now on waiting list for memory clinic. Received a letter informing him the wait is 6 to 9 months. He is afraid of the word dementia and am not sure how to handle it.