Section 117 Aftercare

Sharon J

Feb 6, 2020
Hi, my Mum has Alzheimer's which declined so rapidly that she was sectioned under a Section 3 in August 2019. She hasn't been retested but professionals have said that she is so severe there must be other types of dementia at play too. She has secured Section 117 aftercare funding for 1:1 care, some CHC and still no nursing home in the borough will accept her. We are not in the position of being able to choose homes, her need is so great, we are just reliant on who will take her. They come, they assess her and they reject her. One nursing home said that an even higher level of funding should be applied for to widen the chance of someone taking her. It is all very sad - as if her suffering weren't enough. My question today is, would we have to top up to meet her need? I am presuming that where it is not a matter of choice but a matter of her needs being met, I do not? I'm really sorry, I'm not good with all the terminology and jargon so lay terms would be helpful if anyone has been in the same situation as us. We would like to keep her relatively close to home as my poor Dad has Parkinsons and is essential to his wellbeing that he gets to see her too. Thank you for your help.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
Hi, my Mum has Alzheimer's which declined so rapidly that she was sectioned under a Section 3 in August 2019. She hasn't been retested but professionals have said that she is so severe there must be other types of dementia at play too. She has secured Section 117 aftercare funding for 1:1 care, some CHC and still no nursing home in the borough will accept her. We are not in the position of being able to choose homes, her need is so great, we are just reliant on who will take her. They come, they assess her and they reject her. One nursing home said that an even higher level of funding should be applied for to widen the chance of someone taking her. It is all very sad - as if her suffering weren't enough. My question today is, would we have to top up to meet her need? I am presuming that where it is not a matter of choice but a matter of her needs being met, I do not? I'm really sorry, I'm not good with all the terminology and jargon so lay terms would be helpful if anyone has been in the same situation as us. We would like to keep her relatively close to home as my poor Dad has Parkinsons and is essential to his wellbeing that he gets to see her too. Thank you for your help.

please ring the Alzheimer’s helpline, there invaluable experience & advice would be so helpful to you
Sending you (((hugs)))

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Do you think she is safe and well cared for where she is?
How easy is it for Dad to visit her?

Depending on the answers you could just sit back, relax, and let the system take the strain.

However, note that with s117 funding first party top ups are allowed