Caring for both parents

Cathy001

Jul 6, 2024
Hi everyone. I’m Cathy and new to this group. The posts I’ve read so far have been interesting and supportive. Just knowing others are out there going through similar situations is reassuring and supportive.
I’m a carer for both parents. Mum has Alzheimer’s diagnosis and dad has many health issues, including mental health.
It’s good to be part of this network, and I hope we can all support each other.
Best wishes everyone!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Cathy001

It sounds as if you have a big responsibility caring for both parents. How do you manage? Do you get any help?

I hope the forum helps you and I`m pleased you already have positive feelings about it simply by reading about the experiences of others.

Cathy001

Jul 6, 2024
Welcome @Cathy001

It sounds as if you have a big responsibility caring for both parents. How do you manage? Do you get any help?

I hope the forum helps you and I`m pleased you already have positive feelings about it simply by reading about the experiences of others.
I’ve reduced my working hours and turned to Admiral nursing for support. They are currently making some connections for me to help with a few things. I’ve also started working on recruiting a PA to support my parents. We tried carers, but with so many different people visiting, it wasn’t successful. We arranged for 1/2 hour daily on weekdays. They stayed for 5 mins as mum refused their help. I’m hopeful that a PA can build a relationship with my parents and they will accept the help more willingly. The aim is to take some pressure off me and hopefully I will be able to manage things a bit better moving forward.