Rough Time

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi All

I have had a bit of a rough and bumpy time recently with my medication, which had to be adjusted to cover my bad nights and nightmares etc, but things are a lot better today, and I feel that I have control over the computer again which is good.

It is not very nice sitting in front of these things, wondering what I was doing or going to write, but I am now hopeful that things are going to settle again.

I spent a long time with the clinical psychologist talking about my horrendous nightmares and it seems that this all down to something that happened to me when I was young, and I somehow managed to fight it and push it to the back of my mind, as there was no one to speak to when this happened. Through the changes in my brain due to this illness, these things have come back with a vengeance

Still hopefully that is over and peace is restored

Best Wishes

Ken

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Dear Ken, I do hope for your sake that you are right and this has now passed.

It's something I've never considered before - that dementia might cause long forgotten memories to surface: it seems a remarkably cruel trick if they are memories you would rather not relive.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
It is very cruel considering what happened, along with the fact that I fought this through my teenage years, and it takes something like dementia to bring it all back in every detail.

Still I can now handle it after my sessions with the psychologist so thats the best thing after all these years.

Ken

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m so sorry Ken.
All I can say is I hope it helps to know the casue of the nightmares and that they are not random. It won`t make them go away, although it might if you become more relaxed, knowing why you have them.
Take care xx

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hello Ken,

It is so encouraging that you are beginning to feel more hopeful and are already feeling more confident with the computer:)

I do admit to having wondered how people with any of these diseases cope when loss of language has occurred and things like childhood events and/or abuse (of any kind) resurface. Often the nature of some of these events mean secrecy and therefore even a spouse might not know of this part of childhood history:eek: I hope this is an area that is being thoroughly thought out by 'those in the know'.

Wishing you well Ken xx

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
I confess that I did not want to go to these sessions, but I was amazed, how they can look at nightmares and horrific dreams, and then dig out the things that are causing them.

And it was very sensitively done without causing any distress or upset.

The only person who knew about this later on was my wife, who helped me through it, but I could never talk to my family about this at that time or later.

Thats very sad as it may have helped, but it could have made matters a lot worse, because I don't think anyone would have believed my story.

But its remarkable how these things come back when you least expect it. The brain is an odd thing when it starts to play up like it does with Dementia

Ken

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm glad you're sounding so positive and I hope things improve for you now. Izzy x

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Thank you

Thank you Ken, i do believe now that what you are saying is correct. The reson i was brought up by my gran is because my father was a violent drunk and i have often wondered if thats whats at the root of my nightmares, I wll consider the phycologist , best wishes, Norrms and family xx

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Norrms

No one can answer this apart from someone who is qualified.

However it may well help to see someone, in the hope that this is the cause of all your problems, and then they can be stopped.

Like you I was getting very desperate and did not want to see anyone about this, as it was very personal. But I am pleased that I went through with it, as it has helped me out of that mess, and god willing, I won't go back to that dark place again.

Best Wishes

Ken