Refusing bed

susiecol

May 8, 2024
Mum came out of hospital recently and back to care home,but on first night back,she refused to go to bed and stayed in the lounge all night,presumably sleeping on a chair ...

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
Perhaps going to bed reminded her of being in hospital (never a nice experience). It may also be that she is still disorientated from the hospital stay and possibly has a degree of delirium? I'm sure the care home staff have dealt with this sort of thing before and will know how to handle it.

susiecol

May 8, 2024
Yes I know they had her in the discharge suite overnight in hospital too so she might think that's normal...
I know there's no easy answer when a loved one has dementia but I do wish hospitals would take more care and a bit of thought to make the transition from hospital to home a bit easier xx

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sometimes it's about working with someone and their impairment, not trying to impose order in their world, as you see it not them.
The care staff literally as well as metaphorically do have to work with them, if nothing else to avoid conflict, they're there to care not control.
If she wants to sleep in a chair it's nice the staff can accommodate for that for doing so.
K

susiecol

May 8, 2024
Yes the staff are really good with mum,she actually remembers one or 2 of them from before her hospital time...so grateful that mums cared for so well

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother in law refused to go to her room for 2 nights when she first arrived in the home. The staff let her sleep in the lounge. On the 3rd night the manager told her that if she wouldn't go to her room with a carer, she would have no option but to sack her as the carer obviously wasn't doing her job. I was very surprised at this tactic, I didn't think it would work with my mother in law. This had the effect and mother in law followed instructions after that.