Refusing antipsychotic meds

Colette DH

Jun 16, 2018
My dad has had dementia for years but this last year he has had confabulations which have escalated to epic proportions. He thinks my elderly mother is having an affair and he’s aggressive and a danger to her. He has already threatened to kill her. He has been put on antipsychotic medication but is refusing to take it. Our only hope for her safety is that he takes the meds, and we’re at a loss as to handle this situation. Any help appreciated.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Pill or liquid form? You will have to get creative. If liquid you could disguise in a sugary drink. Not all pills can be crushed so you need to find this out, pharmacy could answer this for you, but really you should ask his gp. If you get the go ahead then you could 'hide' this in a dessert of some kind, but please find out first.

The other possible is the time of day he is taking the medication. When my mum was taking medications I cold not get her to take anything late afternoon, I had better results in the morning hours.

Colette DH

Jun 16, 2018
My brother, who had to move in when my mother moved out, is nervous of dad finding out he’s put the pill in his food. The dementia has made him so aggressive and paranoid. He’s capable of some nasty behaviour. I’m Contacting the doc on Monday to see if we can get liquid form. Thanks for your relpy.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Welcome to TP @Colette DH

Please don’t be afraid to call the police if your mum is threatened.
As Beate says ask the GP about giving the medicine covertly. Don’t let them fob you off.

Colette DH

Jun 16, 2018
Thank you. Our GP is woefully bad. My mum has had to move out so she’s safe but it can’t be a Long term solution. Going back to physiatrist to get advice.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
@Colette DH my late husband needed, but would refuse to take, his medications too. After discussion, his doctor felt that although it wasn't ideal, it was important to get them in "whatever way I could". He did change his risperidone to a "quicklet", which dissolved instantly on the tongue, and seemed to be mint flavoured, as I could smell mint. My husband seemed to enjoy that. He appeared to like the slight fizzing sensation it gave as it dissolved, because every time he took it, he would give a little grin and softly say "phwshh"! :) His other meds (trazadone mostly) were capsules, and I was told to open them and mix the contents with his favourite ice cream.

Colette DH

Jun 16, 2018
Thank you. I’ll look into that. Unfortunately for us my dad is still quite ‘switch on’ in a lot of ways. The confabulations have overtaken the other dementia symptoms and he is adamant there is nothing wrong with him and we’re all conspiring against him. His previous aggressive and ‘never wrong’ personality has magnified with dementia. He’s incredibly difficult to deal with. But we are hopeful. It’s the only way to be

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorisimo