Recent Multiple Skin Issues

SandyI

Mar 27, 2023
My mum who has Alzheimer's (diagnosed nearly two years ago) has been suffering from a number of skin issues since the beginning of the year. She has suffered with varicose eczema on her legs for a number of years, but has never had any other skin problems.

Since the beginning of the year she has also suffered with very dry scalp leading to some open sores, eczema across her neck and shoulders, rashes on her arms and was hospitalised with cellulitis on her ears a few weeks ago. Her varicose eczema has also worsened. She has been prescribed individual creams for each of these, and we have been advised by the GP to use them permanently. The GP has said it is due to the ageing process, and I appreciate this could be correct, but could there also be a link to the Alzheimer's? The GP suggested her hygiene regime may have changed, but I have seen no evidence of this.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @SandyL

I used to have well hydrated skin but since I`ve grown older it is much dryer and needs a lot of moisturiser and I agree the GP will be right.

Adding eczema to the mix, which I had as a teenager makes caring for the skin more complex and I`m afraid it will be a full time job.

I`d be surprised if this has anything to do with Alzheimer`s. The fact your mum has a history of skin problems could mean her physical body is failing health wise too and the skin problem has increased because of that.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Our dermatologist always says ‘Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise!’

My husband has had skin issues for years, the varicose eczema and various episodes of generalised eczema all over.

He has three different preparations for different parts of the body and it is recommended that he uses the same brand of shower gel as he does moisturiser. Honestly, it takes him forever to have a shower and put all the creams and lotions on but they do seem to help.

His skin is very fragile now and that makes him a bit more susceptible to fungal infections. He has just had one on his face so that was an extra thing he had to put on.

He will be on this regime for the rest of his life. The dermatologist is certain that there is a genetic component that has made itself evident as he got older.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
My mum who has Alzheimer's (diagnosed nearly two years ago) has been suffering from a number of skin issues since the beginning of the year. She has suffered with varicose eczema on her legs for a number of years, but has never had any other skin problems.

Since the beginning of the year she has also suffered with very dry scalp leading to some open sores, eczema across her neck and shoulders, rashes on her arms and was hospitalised with cellulitis on her ears a few weeks ago. Her varicose eczema has also worsened. She has been prescribed individual creams for each of these, and we have been advised by the GP to use them permanently. The GP has said it is due to the ageing process, and I appreciate this could be correct, but could there also be a link to the Alzheimer's? The GP suggested her hygiene regime may have changed, but I have seen no evidence of this.
I think possible links could be:

She knows she washed and applied creams this morning ( she didn’t ). The problem is she will look you in the eye and assure you this took place, because in her reality it did.

Her eating has become very patchy and her body isn’t getting the nutrients it needs to promote healing.

Also ‘picking’ can be associated with dementia, this can aggravate the skin condition.

The best test would be to stay with her for a week to ten days, supervise lotions potions and eating and see if you can see an improvement?

SandyI

Mar 27, 2023
My daughter and I are spending a week with her next week, so we will be able to ensure that all the creams are applied and see the results. I agree it is difficult to otherwise to ensure that she is following all the regimes. We have clearly marked up all the creams and where they need to be applied, but there is a lot for her to manage. It doesn't help that she sometimes puts them away in different places, and then forgets where they are. We spend a lot of time searching all the drawers to find them.

I have taken on board the points about moisturising, and I am starting to realise that this is not a short term issue, but something else we are going to have to manage long term.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My grandson had baby eczema and my son and daughter law had a full time job moisturising his skin and keeping him comfortable.

Taking care of such severe skin problems in an adult with dementia must be so difficult to manage, you will have your work cut out.

SelahRosario

Feb 22, 2024
Your mum must be going through hell with those skin issues, especially beside Alzheimer's.
I have had my experience of troubled moments when it came to my skin worries and trying to find the right products and solutions.
I have just found a very good reference book on dermatology. Perhaps you will also find it useful; share the link: therapeutique-dermatologique.org.
In your mother's case, while aging could play a part in the way her skin is changing, it would be something you would want to look further into, since Alzheimer's could be another cause.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
When my mum lived alone I found her moisturising her legs with analgesic cream.

No wonder she said her legs felt funny!

Eye drops often put in her nose 😱