Reassurance about Decisions

hybriseris

Dec 16, 2021
My Grandmother, 84 years old, started showing signs of dementia about three years ago. She was an extremely social, active woman living independently at home but when COVID hit, the forced isolation seemed to cause rapid deterioration in her memory and ability to complete day to day tasks. My Mother & I have never had the best relationship with her. My Mother has never spoken about exactly what her childhood was like, but I've pieced together there was neglect and verbal abuse. As such, despite their civil relationship, I have always resented my grandmother. However, we put that aside to help her as her ability to do things collapsed. Slowly she could no longer figure out how to manage money or pay her bills, navigate making appointments, or organize a list for grocery shopping. She lived across the street from my parents and would come down sometimes 5 - 6x a day to ask a question she couldn't remember she'd already asked about.

Things took a turn for the worse when her long-time partner passed away. He was routine and comfort for her, and with him gone her days got increasingly empty. The hope was always to help her live out the rest of her years in her home but it was getting increasingly difficult as she began to refuse the in-home nurses we hired, and becoming verbally abusive and paranoid.

Two weeks ago she accused my Mother of trying to steal her home and money, and became so panicked she punched my Mother before fleeing her home and flagging down strangers in the street for help. None stopped and my Mother managed to get my Grandmother back inside the house, where my Grandmother insisted she needed to call the police. My Mother dialed for her, and my Grandmother was taken to hospital where she was evaluated and deemed unsafe to return him. After the physical violence we were in agreement as she was escalating verbally daily prior to this. She was placed in a nursing facility where the care and room came highly recommended by a friend of the family who does social work, and the care and room seem excellent so far.

I am seeking reassurance because while I know we made the right decision in terms of my grandmother's safety, my visits with her at the home have been heart-wrenching. She is at a stage where she's aware enough to know something is wrong, but not so aware that she recognizes her level of impairment. She has absolutely no recollection of going to the hospital or the events preceding, positive or negative, which is both a blessing and a curse as she does not remember why she is in the facility when the plan was always to keep her at her own home for as long as possible. She keeps asking if we'll let her go home, when she'll get her car back (she hasn't driven in years, by choice). When I visited today she was wandering the hall and looked so sad, and told me she missed her home and her cat, and that the sounds other residents make frighten her.

Even harder, is that I adopted her cat. He was staying in her home, but was clearly becoming depressed and anxious. He has bloomed a little since I took him home with me but every time I look at him I feel as if I've done something wrong, like I've stolen him without a care for my Grandmother. He had to go somewhere, and it certainly wasn't going to be back to the rescue he came from after the love and affection he provided my grandmother. And due to the nature of her disease, it's not possible (or fair to him) to find a facility that could allow a pet as beautiful as that would be. I know I've given him a deserved soft landing but when I look at him I see the sadness in her eyes as she looked out the window during our visit today.

I feel as if no matter how hard I try, this pain won't go away. I think I just needed to get this out somewhere others would read and understand.

cobden 28

Dec 15, 2017
My Grandmother, 84 years old, started showing signs of dementia about three years ago. She was an extremely social, active woman living independently at home but when COVID hit, the forced isolation seemed to cause rapid deterioration in her memory and ability to complete day to day tasks. My Mother & I have never had the best relationship with her. My Mother has never spoken about exactly what her childhood was like, but I've pieced together there was neglect and verbal abuse. As such, despite their civil relationship, I have always resented my grandmother. However, we put that aside to help her as her ability to do things collapsed. Slowly she could no longer figure out how to manage money or pay her bills, navigate making appointments, or organize a list for grocery shopping. She lived across the street from my parents and would come down sometimes 5 - 6x a day to ask a question she couldn't remember she'd already asked about.

Things took a turn for the worse when her long-time partner passed away. He was routine and comfort for her, and with him gone her days got increasingly empty. The hope was always to help her live out the rest of her years in her home but it was getting increasingly difficult as she began to refuse the in-home nurses we hired, and becoming verbally abusive and paranoid.

Two weeks ago she accused my Mother of trying to steal her home and money, and became so panicked she punched my Mother before fleeing her home and flagging down strangers in the street for help. None stopped and my Mother managed to get my Grandmother back inside the house, where my Grandmother insisted she needed to call the police. My Mother dialed for her, and my Grandmother was taken to hospital where she was evaluated and deemed unsafe to return him. After the physical violence we were in agreement as she was escalating verbally daily prior to this. She was placed in a nursing facility where the care and room came highly recommended by a friend of the family who does social work, and the care and room seem excellent so far.

I am seeking reassurance because while I know we made the right decision in terms of my grandmother's safety, my visits with her at the home have been heart-wrenching. She is at a stage where she's aware enough to know something is wrong, but not so aware that she recognizes her level of impairment. She has absolutely no recollection of going to the hospital or the events preceding, positive or negative, which is both a blessing and a curse as she does not remember why she is in the facility when the plan was always to keep her at her own home for as long as possible. She keeps asking if we'll let her go home, when she'll get her car back (she hasn't driven in years, by choice). When I visited today she was wandering the hall and looked so sad, and told me she missed her home and her cat, and that the sounds other residents make frighten her.

Even harder, is that I adopted her cat. He was staying in her home, but was clearly becoming depressed and anxious. He has bloomed a little since I took him home with me but every time I look at him I feel as if I've done something wrong, like I've stolen him without a care for my Grandmother. He had to go somewhere, and it certainly wasn't going to be back to the rescue he came from after the love and affection he provided my grandmother. And due to the nature of her disease, it's not possible (or fair to him) to find a facility that could allow a pet as beautiful as that would be. I know I've given him a deserved soft landing but when I look at him I see the sadness in her eyes as she looked out the window during our visit today.

I feel as if no matter how hard I try, this pain won't go away. I think I just needed to get this out somewhere others would read and understand.
Although you originally intended to help your Grandma live out her days in her own home, when she became forgetful and agressive & refused the home help you organised for her i think the decision for her to go into a care home permanently was the right one. She couldn't manage on her own so you did the best thing for her by arranging for her to be somewhere that can provide the care she needs.

As for Grandma's cat, you definitely did the right thing by adopting it when Grandma became unable to care for it & went into care. Look at the cat situation this way, in that it;s something else you are doing for Grandma,

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
hi @hybriseris I am sure you did the right thing for your grandmother and family.

My mom sounds very similar to your grandmother -- a very rapid decent into dementia and confusion (she also had physical problems). She did know enough for a while to be very confused and frustrated with what was going on, which in turn we think made her lash out aggressively towards my father particularly. We had to make the difficult decision (very rapidly) to move her into a CH. She always stated she wanted to stay at home as long as possible and be with my dad, both of which did not happen. In fact, my dad did not visit her for the first 2 weeks in resite care (until I arrived) due to her horrible behaviour.
Please know you did the right thing -- both for her and the family. 3 months on, my mom has adjusted, knows she is somewhere safe, and the relationship between her and my dad has really improved.

As for the cat -- it's in the best place now. You can always tell Grandma that you are looking after it while she is away and both of them are safe. Depending upon her reaction and state of mind, she might even like hearing about the cat, amusing stories of what it is up to, and seeing pictures if her mood allows.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @hybriseris and welcome to Talking Point.

Im sure you have done the right thing. We all want to keep our person with dementia (PWD) at home for as long as possible, but its hard when they reach that stage. Its particularly hard because once a PWD reaches that stage it is normal for them to have become unaware of their own limitations, so they are unable to agree that they need to be there and want to return home. Remind yourself of the problems she was having when she was at home. Do you really want her to return to that when she wasnt safe there? I

It also sounds to me as though she was beginning to not recognise her home. You may find that the home she wants to return to is actually her childhood home. When mum moved to her care home I did take her back to her old home (but only once!) to choose some items for her room and she did not recognise it as hers. Later I talked to her about her home and suddenly realised that she was talking about her childhood home that was bombed in the war. Returning there was truly a mission impossible! Usually, when people with dementia talk about Wanting to Go Home, they are not talking about bricks and mortar - what they want is to return to a place and time before they developed dementia. Many know that they are confused, but do not understand why and think it is due to where they are living, so think that if they go somewhere else they will leave the confusion behind, not understanding that they will simply take it with them.

Ultimately, your mum may not be happy where ever she is - always yearning for things to be as they were and thinking they still could be, however impossible it is. We always want them to be safe, happy and well cared for, but sometimes we have to settle for safe and well cared for. Two out of three aint bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teritaz333