Realising that my mum threw the Title Deeds to the house away

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
I guess this isn't an issue, just more of an inconvenience, which will be a headache to sort out ?

As mum's dementia progressed, she started cleaning the house and chucking stuff away. It's only now that I realise that she threw away a plastic folder which was always in her bedroom, containing personal documents like her birth certificate, etc.

And one of the things that was in there were the deeds to the house. I called the Halifax to see if they had a copy of them, and they have nothing; I rung the Land Registry and they have absolutely nothing on the house either.

It's a solvable problem for sure, and Land Registry sent us a form to fill in to re-register the house if I can't find them - I won't, they're gone - but what a nuisance ?

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
That's a shame but as you say easily fixed with the land registry. Often houses these days are sold without title deeds so the land registry process must work well in these circumstances. As dad's dementia progressed I moved all important documents to my house for safe keeping.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @nick97 that's a pity, but the main thing is to get the house registered with Land Registry. When we sold mum's house last year, even though we had the deeds the solicitor stated that they would still need to conduct a Land Registry check prior to the sale to ensure that the home was still owned by Mum, deeds or not. So looking on the positive side, the loss of the deeds has made you aware that the house isn't registered with Land Registry and better to find that out and get it sorted now, rather than have to get it sorted out in a hurry at a later date.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smattels