Real Dementia! Taking Care of Mom

SunDwn70

Jul 12, 2024
When I worked for a Center for the Frail Elderly, Dementia was only a title. However, my mother now suffers from Dementia which is currently progressing into fourth/late stage. I'm Mom's daughter and caregiver; and she lives with me. With the exception of a 4-hour nurse, my husband children and I care for Mom 24/7. I am Mom's main caregiver and my sister/s come in the evenings to put Mom to bed. This plan sounds easy; however, it has been a crazy, mind-blowing roller coaster. I hope to find information, relief, and support here. It's not easy caring for a person with Dementia while watching them slowly leave you. I don't know if Mom's closed eyes is her ignoring me, or that dying brain cells are happening. Your post on closed eyes helped so much. Thank you.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and firstly welcome @SunDwn70 to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia here so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read of your Mom. You are so right, it is not easy caring for a loved one with dementia and witness their slow decline. I do so feel for you. I am glad you have already found some information here helpful.
Please do have a good look around the forums and ask any particular questions you may like to. People here really do want to help, and you will always find understanding and a listening ear.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well hello and welcome first of all and my I ask if you're posting from the USA, not an issue just makes a difference to the advise given. K

Alice_M

Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 15, 2022
Hi @SunDwn70 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum,

I hope you find the information, relief, and support here that you are looking for. Thank you for sharing about your mom.