Re evaluated

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
After more test with neurologist my OH now been given the new diagnosis is functional neurological disorder with moderate cognitive impairment- not lewy body dementia my OH has real difficult speech problems and hallucinations and memory problems, his neurologist is still visiting us , so still recognised he got troubles. does the word " moderate "diagnosis I mean he has Mild cognitive impairment has well Has FND

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Mild Cognitive Impairment can be the precursor to dementia, but it isnt always and in your OHs case they think it is FND.
Moderate Cognitive Impairment is the next stage along from Mild Cognitive Impairment when there is no dementia.

BTW, my, and @Lawson58 s OH have both had a diagnosis of dementia withdrawn because scans dont back it up, but we are both convinced that they have some sort of dementia. You may be joining our little group
xx

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
@canary - yes my OH has refused scans so they can only go by what he says and my OH dont want the fuss.- and it strange the Neurologist still coming to our home instead of putting in the care of his GP

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Some of his symptoms dont fit the required boxes so I do believe they are ebbing on the safe side, but my OH is happy with this has they will leave him be and not fuss has he calls it though. he did tell them about hallucinations -seeing people who are not there and he feels very anxious about it

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Some of his symptoms dont fit the required boxes so I do believe they are ebbing on the safe side, but my OH is happy with this has they will leave him be and not fuss has he calls it though. he did tell them about hallucinations -seeing people who are not there and he feels very anxious about it
As @canary said, my OH was non diagnosed several years after his original diagnosis of ‘atypical’ Alzheimer’s and I now believe that the consultant wasn’t sure about what he was really looking at.

The diagnosis was changed several times until the non diagnosis. I have the feeling the FND is a bit like that, a term that can cover a multitude of possibilities. My husband never fitted the usual picture of Alzheimer’s as his short term memory was OK up until a few months ago but he couldn’t recall much of the early years of his life.

At least the neurologist is still interested in your OH so hopefully you will get a bit further than we did. I look forward to having an update!

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Mmm.......
Im rather sceptical about this diagnosis of FND.
Do you get a chance to say what you are seeing?
Getting Concern my OH whom has been said got FND with moderate cognitive impairment- he getting more confused now and his hallucinations are getting more frequent though he dont seem to be overly concern they getting normal for him, dont know what to think anymore- I looked on the FND website but it mentions nothing about Hallucinations,

Vanillaex

Nov 25, 2023
Mild Cognitive Impairment can be the precursor to dementia, but it isnt always and in your OHs case they think it is FND.
Moderate Cognitive Impairment is the next stage along from Mild Cognitive Impairment when there is no dementia.

BTW, my, and @Lawson58 s OH have both had a diagnosis of dementia withdrawn because scans dont back it up, but we are both convinced that they have some sort of dementia. You may be joining our little group
xx
I believe it has a lot to do with the medications each doctor gives him. I have cut back on them slowly and he does better. Now I read everything about a new medication before he takes even one of them.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My OH its getting worse now - e constantly speaks to himself and his hallucinations are increasing -getting very confused - surely this cannot be FND- his memory consultant coming around next week will have to see what he says

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Make sure you get the chance to explain everything you are concerned about - maybe send a letter/email to the doctor in advance

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012

xx
My OH was diagnosed in 2012 with AD then some years later the diagnosis amended to MCI as he hadn't really deteriorated - so I think we might qualify to join your little group. He has either progressed to Moderate cognitive impairment or dementia now but I don't see a lot of point in pushing for more tests.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
My OH its getting worse now - e constantly speaks to himself and his hallucinations are increasing -getting very confused - surely this cannot be FND- his memory consultant coming around next week will have to see what he says
Your husband’s symptoms still seem more like the original diagnosis of LBD. Hopefully the memory consultant will be able to give you a definitive diagnosis. Please make a list of all Mike’s behaviours and your concerns as it is easy to forget things during a consultation.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Really worried about OH - last night before getting in bed ,he started to say there is big black spiders on bed and then his foot and body - he started to really scratch himself and now one of his arms have deep long scratches on it and bloody and he still scratching today

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @mikeb2 I am sorry that you are having to cope with this. Please get your husband checked out urgently to see if he has a UTI or other infection as these can cause the sort of hallucinations that you describe. Also have a word with the memory clinic doctor and let them know about the hallucinations.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Hello @mikeb2 I am sorry that you are having to cope with this. Please get your husband checked out urgently to see if he has a UTI or other infection as these can cause the sort of hallucinations that you describe. Also have a word with the memory clinic doctor and let them know about the hallucinations.
Thankyou SeaSwallow- his memory consultant is coming around this Friday thank goodness and I ca=certainly be putting him in the picture and I don't think he got UTI has he just recently got that checked -checking on his prostate - which is fine

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
Hi @mikeb2 Will you be able to talk frankly in front of your husband as its important you mention this change in hallucinations. My husband hallucinated with his dementia/parkinsons but he suddenly declined. The hallucinations first became more frightening and then became these people (he called them the others) and they statred controlling every aspect of our lives. This was followed by pyschosis so make sure they know exactly how things are. I know its difficult as it seems so disloyal when you see their struggle.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
early next year my OH got to visit speech therapy - dont know how its going to help