Raising Awareness/Cash

Broocy

Jan 19, 2014
I'd quite like to organise a sponsored discothon (strictly freestyle/dadstyle dancing type sort of thing - not proper dancing). Last person standing could win a prize but I know nothing about fundraising - would need DJ, non-alcoholic bar, health and safety clearance probably and a hall. Anyone got any pointers (or Pointer Sisters)???

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I would be phoning around local pubs, no reason it can't be licensed with a proper licensee, if the bar owner/manager knows it's for charity and you can pack an otherwise empty room on a Saturday afternoon with thirsty dancers, you may well get the room for free.

I went to all of our local shops and asked for donations which were sold and raffled, all bar one donated everything from designer toys to a fish supper for 4! So you can fundraising activities going on for the non dancers as they support the dancers. (It's amazing how much someone will bid for a signed autograph of Michael Aspel 20 minutes before drinking up time. (Thank you Michael for your autograph).

Raffles can be expensive as you would need a licence so far as I remember, but if there is an element of skill it is no longer gambling, which is why you see so many stupid questions being asked on television before asking you to call a premium rate number.

I would definitely talk to the AS fundraising team as I am strictly an amateur and raised funds for a different charity. Sorry AS but we had just lost a baby in the family so threw ourselves into that at the time.

Broocy

Jan 19, 2014
Thank you. That sounds like some great advice and certainly gives me lots to work on.

So sorry to hear about your loss and hope you're getting the support you need for that.