Quite an improvement

Timeout

Feb 10, 2012
Hello all, it's been a while since I checked in with an update on mum, many of you will remember she became very poorly at Christmas and she was discharged from hospital on end of life care.

She remained Bedbound until early March when she was deemed fit enough to start being brought out and placed into a Kirton chair in the lounge. I'm pleased to say she has really improved and today was the best we have seen for for a long time.

Since her decline at Christmas she has been almost non communicative, only saying yes or no and even then it wasn't reliable. Mostly she stares into space and will only engage for a very short time but today was remarkable.

We walked into the lounge and she caught my eye as I walked up to her, she smiled and said 'there's lovely to see you'!! I honestly felt like I'd been transported back a few years! 'Well, well, well' she kept saying and this was always one of her trademark sayings.

She remained engaged with us, responding with laughter and eye rolling at my husbands silly jokes. She seemed to understand the gist of what I was saying when I teased her about putting her long hair into a bobble like my teenage daughter.

I sat there pinching myself! She was still slightly agitated and she did try putting her hands down her trousers to her pad so her yes, she's still severely affected but today for some reason the fog had lifted a bit. Her eyes sparkled and she looked much more like my dear mum.

Heartbreakingly though I asked her if she liked it there. She hesitated, actually looked like she was thinking and replied, 'hmm I'm not so sure' but I asked her if she was happy and she said 'yes I'm happy'.

What on earth was different today I will never know. The carers came and said that she was happy today and she'd eaten well. There was quite loud pop music playing when we went in so could it have been that? Who knows, all I know was that we had a little bit of mum back with us today and it was wonderful.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
It's uplifting to read, I can feel your joy:) thanks for sharing it.

Best wishes
Sue:)