Progression

Galeyo

Nov 11, 2018
Hello am new to this site and just want to get some advice. My Nanna has Alzheimer’s, until recently she was able to live independently, went out twice a week with her sister and was able to get walk distances. About three weeks ago she had gastroenteritis for two weeks and got admitted to the hospital, there they decided she was dehydrated and not eating. Since her discharge she is now incontinent, can hardly feed herself and requires help walking and dressing etc. Whilst at home I don’t think she was self medicating properly even though there in a blister pack, but since she has been in hospital and now has carers they are managing her medication, just wondering if Alzheimer’s can be that progressive or it could possibly be the risperidone. Has anyone else had it where the person is alright one week and then the next need to be in a nursing home ?

Thanks

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hello, @Galeyo and welcome.

Certainly, it sounds like your nan has been very seriously ill. That in itself could cause her illness to seem to have progressed very rapidly. Any kind of infection or illness can have a very severe affect on a person with dementia. Also, being out of her usual environment will have been very disorienting and confusing for her.

Having said that, though, risperidone is a very strong medication, and although a godsend when needed, it can cause severe side effects. So it might be worth talking to whoever prescribed it, and mentioning your concerns.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Alzheimers can indeed progress that quickly when there is something like an illness, infection, operation or broken bones.

Although risperidone can cause some nasty side-effects sometimes - and it is worth asking the doctors about this - I think the likelihood is that it is due to the gastroenteritis.

Galeyo

Nov 11, 2018
Thank you for the advice, getting it reviewed by the doctor as they couldn’t believe the change in personality in such little time.