Probate or Letters of Administration

Kayjo

Jul 14, 2023
I just wonder if anyone can give me any information about what the difference is between Probate and letters of administration?

I do understand that if a deceased's accounts has only a small amount of money in (1k),then formal probate isn't needed and it's letters of administration and if a significant amount is in the account - ie £50k then Probate is necessary, but what is the difference.

Is Probate more labour intensive? And if so, how?

Any advice gratefully received

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Hi @Kayjo - the difference is a grant of probate is issued when there is a will (to named executor(s)). Letters of Administration are issued when there is no will, according to the rules of intestacy (ie who gets the estate if no will - next of kin(s)).

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
An executor is appointed in the will and has legal power to administer the deceased's estate.
If there is not an executor the same power can be obtained by applying for and being granted 'letters of administration'.
The work involved with both powers is the same.

Probate proves the will, making it a legal document listing the deceased's wishes, it may not be required. most banks will hand over fairly large amounts on sight of death certificate and proof of being an executor or holding 'letters of administration' provided an indemnity is signed.

Insurance companies and bond issuers may not be so lenient.

Kayjo

Jul 14, 2023
Hi @Kayjo - the difference is a grant of probate is issued when there is a will (to named executor(s)). Letters of Administration are issued when there is no will, according to the rules of intestacy (ie who gets the estate if no will - next of kin(s)).
Thank you for your reply

Kayjo

Jul 14, 2023
An executor is appointed in the will and has legal power to administer the deceased's estate.
If there is not an executor the same power can be obtained by applying for and being granted 'letters of administration'.
The work involved with both powers is the same.

Probate proves the will, making it a legal document listing the deceased's wishes, it may not be required. most banks will hand over fairly large amounts on sight of death certificate and proof of being an executor or holding 'letters of administration' provided an indemnity is signed.

Insurance companies and bond issuers may not be so lenient.
Thank you for your reply. So I'm right in thinking that if the money is of a very small amount we may not need to do probate? Do you not have to file anything with the government? (Sorry new to all of this so it's a bit of minefield).